what map site do you use

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by ian perks, Jul 8, 2006.

1. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

When looking up directions to a venue or town etc which map site/direction site do you use.
    I use :
    www.mappy.com :clap:
  2. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

This is the one you want

Why? because I was part of the development team and support it day-to-day on behalf of the Department for Transport..

But if you find anything wrong with it I will deny all knowledge ;)
  3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I use either the built in GPS on my nice new hw 6515 or google maps.
  4. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

AA autoroute everytime.
  5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Ditto, although it's not as user-friendly as it could be, especially if you need to go back and adjust anything.
  6. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I like mulitmap (and when that doesn't work I use mapquest). I haven't quite got the hang of google maps yet (and always forget to use it), but it does seem better than the other two.
  7. Key2207

Key2207 Member

I use multimap most of the time :p we had to use multimap a lot when I was doing GCSE geography!!
  8. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

in the US i also used google maps
  9. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Never heard of this one but I really like the look of it.

I also use the AA and RAC route planners.

Mostly, though, I use the Microsoft AutoRoute that I purchased.

Having said this I'm not sure I'm gonna need any with the lovely new SatNav in my lovely new car that I've just got :);)
  10. TheMusicMan

which is Crawf...?
  11. dyl

dyl Active Member

Crawf? ;)
  12. TheMusicMan

Oops.... I mean Matt of course...
  13. andyp

andyp Active Member

I use Multimap, and FlashEarth (www.flashearth.com) which is great fun, it combines alll the satellie images from Windows Live Local and Google Earth, plus roads and placenames. And it works on Windows 98, whereas Google Earth doesn't!
  14. Dave 2nd2nd Cornet

Dave 2nd2nd Cornet Active Member

Used to use Microsoft Autoroute quite a lot, until i bought my TomTom navigator. It's much better than trying to follow printed maps whilst driving, which is as dangerous as using a mobile or applying make-up (no i don't, honest) whilst driving.
    These satnav systems have received bad press recently, but after 18 months use, I can safely say that I have never been directed down farmers tracks, into canals or over the White Cliffs of Dover.
  15. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Erm......my new car........well......it's a Honda Civic VVTi V-tec 1.8EX.......with a marvellous voice activated SatNav system that will get me anywhere.

Before I got this I had a NavMan SatNav system which was OK but it did try to take me down private roads and and illegal entries on to motorways :eek::eek:
  16. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Thanks for this site going to Gants Hill Essex in October parking car at a friends address and going to the National Finals will give this one a go:clap:
  17. vonny

vonny Member

I usually use multimap as it's quite good. I wonder if there's a map that exists that directs you to a desert island with no route back :)
  18. Dave 2nd2nd Cornet

Dave 2nd2nd Cornet Active Member

That sounds good to me - only if the wife and kids are not in the car with me though:tup
  19. vonny

vonny Member

I'll leave my kids behind to ;)
  20. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

I always use Multimap, so gave 'yours' a go, with a test for a place some 30 miles away. Yours decided it was more fun to go 43 miles in a more 'scenic' route and stop about 5 miles from where I wanted it to go to.. :eek: Shan't be a user, thanks.