What Makes A Bad COnductor

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by GingerMaestro, Mar 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

We have seen that Madandcrazy is looking for advice on his new start as a MD and good luck to him with everything he achieves

But what makes a BAD MD

Is it lack of experience in my opinion no because you only gain experience from getting in there and giving it a good go

1.Not doing your homework on music
    2.Lack of preparation for events
    3. Narrow mindedness towards different styles or arrangers or composers of music

Give me your thoughts

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    COnductor
    Makes A Bad
    everything
    start
    luck
  3. Timpking

Timpking Member

Playing through hymn tunes in quavers, semiquavers etc. for half the rehearsal.
    Lack of respect for players
    Bad stick technique
    Poor people skills

I have learn't just as much from the bad conductors as from some of the best in the buisness!!
    I Could go on but should really do some work today!:tup

4. ISBBBb2

ISBBBb2 Member

As a MD (or to us Sally Army players the bandmaster) I think you have to in many ways act as a salesman. It is vital you sell a piece of music to your band so they are so enthused about playing a piece that it increases the level of concentration and effort they put into playing for you.
    Yes stick technique is an important aspect of conducting but providing you get the basics right (someone once told me to remember floor, wall, wall, ceiling!) then the band will be more at ease with you in front. To start and finish together is key (and often a bonus!)This comes from the leader. KISS! Keep It Simple Stupid!
    A MD should be a good all-rounder. Get to know your players. If they know you and see you as a good friend they are more likely to want to work for you in the rehearsal room and thats half the battle won!
    Dont alienate yourself from the players.

5. dyl

dyl Active Member

We feel the points raised in this thread will, more or less, echo those already made in the MD Credentials thread here: http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=18645

So to save on duplication, we'll lock this one. Please free to continue on the above thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.