What make of tuba mouthpiece do you play on?

Discussion in 'theMouthPiece.com User Reviews' started by Northants_tuba, Oct 13, 2004.

?

What type of tuba mouthpiece do you use?

1. Perantucci

11 vote(s)
    18.3%
  2. Denis Wick

24 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Courtois

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Vincent Bach

16 vote(s)
    26.7%
  5. Other

9 vote(s)
    15.0%
  1. Ste69

Ste69 Member

I managed eventually to arrange the loan of a Perantucci PT-84. - Almost identical to a 24AW but the cushion is narrower and therefore doesn't stick up my nose as the Bach did.

Love the mouthpiece though and am (hopefully) going to purchase it from the guy who lent it to me. The sound is so much bigger but more importantly, the control I have over the production of the note. (Or maybe that's just me?????) :)

(Richard - If you're reading this, can I buy it from you????);)

2. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Try Mark at Mr Tuba in Cwmbran for brand new perantucci mouthpieces..or Malcom Peach ( on tmp ) was seeling some Peratucci mouthpieces).
    I personally prefer the PT-36 use in on Eb and Bb..

3. Steve Marcus

Steve Marcus Member

Scott Laskey 30H.

4. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Wick 2L for me. Does the job really, and i'm too skint to change

5. cobrebandnerd

cobrebandnerd New Member

An amazing discovery

I've played on a Jet tone since sixth grade and I was recently introduced to a mouthpiece called Bayamo from Giddings and Webster. Visit the website at www.gwmouthpieces.com. It's the most amazing mouthpiece i've ever played on

6. JDH

JDH Member

Bach 24AW

I started using the Bach 24AW on advice at a Black Dyke Summer school about 15 years ago and have been using ever since.

In the last year I have tried out several different tuba mouthpieces, but always come back to my faithful 24AW - gives me the sound I want and the control throughout the range. I find with even a slightly larger cup I get unintended vibrato in the low register!

Strange - mouthpiece choice is such a personal thing!

7. Neil Glynn

Neil Glynn Member

Whenever I end up playing a Bass I borrow a Perantucci PT24+, fantastic for EEb Bass, loads of power but easily controlled. I find it much easier to pitch on this MP than with a Dennis Wick or a VB.

8. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Dennis Wick 2XL for me. Works everytime.

9. I play on a 1L for Bb and 3AL on the rare occassions i play Eb. I also have a purple Kelly based on Bach 18. Great for playing outside as it dosen't get cold, get some strange looks though.

10. B'aht a band

B'aht a band Member

I used a Denis Wick 4 for ages, then switched to a 1L... I don't/can't change cos change scares me!!!

And I'm too lazy!! :oops:

11. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Originally used a wick 3L when I was playing on a sov, then changed later to a Bach 18, which I was happy with. On changing instrument to a Yamaha Maestro I didn't find the bach as good however (probably to do with the very noticable difference in bore size on the Maestro) so have been using the Yamaha 66D4 since then. Decided I fancied a change recently so am having a do on a Dillon-Sheridan S3.

12. Sop_Or_Bass?

Sop_Or_Bass? Member

Playing a VB 24AW replica and get on with it OK. Interested in the comments on the Perantucci though.

Find that I get an occassional buzz/struggle to keep on Cs-Es in the mid to upper stave with the BBb, and probably nothing to do with the mouthpiece, just my playing! - Anyone any tips to resolve this problem (other than just giving up/going back to sop!)?

13. hj&jt

hj&jt New Member

Because i am now practically retired ( me & the missis played in the same band, no babysitter, i lost) and don't have access to a bass, i now play on a Dennis Wick 3SL on e flat and Vincet Bach 24 on b flat. Don't really need to practice at all