What make of tuba mouthpiece do you play on?

Discussion in 'theMouthPiece.com User Reviews' started by Northants_tuba, Oct 13, 2004.

?

What type of tuba mouthpiece do you use?

1. Perantucci

11 vote(s)
    18.3%
  2. Denis Wick

24 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Courtois

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Vincent Bach

16 vote(s)
    26.7%
  5. Other

9 vote(s)
    15.0%
  1. I have recently changed mouthpiece from a Vincent Bach to a new model Perantucci and find this mouthpiece very comforatable and thought i'd do i poll to find out the most popular type of tuba mouthpiece.
    I also wondered what other users of this mouthpiece thought

Last edited: Oct 13, 2004
  2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I've used a Vincent Bach for the past 6 years or so, having previously played on a Denis Wick. I find it does what I need it to, on either EEb or BBb, but I must confess I've not experimented wiith any others.

Edit: By the way, hope you're enjoying playing with Jaguar - my first band, as Coventry Festival Band - and say hello to Dave for me!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2004
  3. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I play on a Benge 18. It seems to work for both BBb and Eb.

4. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

VB for me

Played on a Wick 2L forever but fancied a change - lots of people recommended the Vincent Bach so got the 24AW. Thought there might be some initial adaption problems but is similar in size on the cup so no problems there. It is definitely a different quality in sound - plays with very little effort and think I could play on this all day as it's not tiring on the lips.

5. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

I use a vincent bach 7, am usually on BBb most of the time, but I use it on EEb aswell, from really high to really low notes I have no probs with it, really just need to practice more!!

My last Wick 1L was badly chipped and think it was to blame for irritating my skin if I played alot, so just fancied a change and went for the equivilent bach, would like to try 1 of these perantucci mouthpieces to see what theyre like, a few good comments on another thread about them!

6. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

I play on a Mike Finn MF3, having tried all the Bach, Wick, Schilke and many Peruntuccis. Very comfy (my main prerequisite!) and lots of weft!

I play BBb, but in all sorts of groups (brass band, Orchestra, Big band, 10 Piece etc) and I use it for all these with no problems.

www.mikefinnmouthpieces.com

7. Ste69

Ste69 Member

Which model Perrantucci would be the nearest to a VB 24AW? Does anyone know of or have a link to any kind of size comparison charts?

8. wally

wally Member

I'm on a bach 7 ..or is it 9? i can never remember, anyway i've tried a variety of denis wicks and a bach 18 and the 7 (or 9) is by far the best - really comfy and it goes all the way up and all the way down - lots of pasty where required but also smooth,easy slurring during legato playing. I've heard that a lot of championship players use 24AWs - would'nt mind trying one of them out.

9. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

I play on a perantucci...much more comfy , with a rounder sound than any wick or bach mouthpiece I have played , great for Eb and Bb playing..I would also recomend the Euph mouthpiece for Euph / Bari or Trombonists...Dont know about compairing Perantucc sizei with VB .

10. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Perantucci
    Vincent Bach
    popular type of tuba mouthpiece
    new model Perantucci
    comforatable
  12. Ste69

Ste69 Member

many thanks for that - won't go changing right now as I've the nationals in 2 days but cheers for the advice and the excellent comparison chart

13. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Use a Wick 3AL on EFlat and a 1L on BFlat. Tried using a 2 but didn't really like it on either.

14. the fish

the fish Member

Perantucci PT86 for me. Much more sonorous than Dennis Wick's. Never really liked VB personally.

By the way thanks for the link for mouthpiece sizes Andy Cat, very useful.

15. RondoRotundo

RondoRotundo Member

Played on a Wick 3L (and it's predecessor, the 3) for more years than I care to remember.
    If I do venture onto Bb I prefer something a bit larger, but I don't get the inclination very often.
    I think the main thing that puts people off changing is the price. It's a lot of dosh to splash out to make a mistake. Anyone remember the good, old Kosicup range from Booseys?

16. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I learned to play on one!

Switched to a VB24AW about six months ago. Thinking about something a little bigger to get the low stuff now i've moved onto BBb, but not yet. As you say, sixty-odd squid is a lot to shell out if it turns out you can't use the thing!

17. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Wick 1L for any instrument from Sop to BBb Bass :rolleyes:

18. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Just got my brand new Perantucci PT88+ through the post today, was well pleased with it at band tonight! :biggrin: Much more fuller tone and seemed easier to power thru the low stuff! Feels more comfortable than the VB7 I had, need to get alittle mouthpiece bag to keep it good now, hope they are abit cheaper! :rolleyes:

19. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I've played EEb Bass on a Denis Wick 2L for donkey's years at a reasonable standard of banding and I've found it perfectly satisfactory over the full range both for sound and technique. (The Band may not agree !)
    I know they're "Bog standard", but I reckon, (I could be wrong), that if you use any decent MP, and regularly practice, stick with it, you'll be ok.
    A lot of tubists who moan about MP's and chop and change are just not "In practice" - I'm often one of them !!!

20. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

I was loaned a Perantucci PT24+ some months ago.
    It was similar to my Bach Megatone 24AW. It was deeper still than the 24AW and I decided that I couldn't really use it on the Eb.

I didn't try it on BBb as I am playing a 20+ year old Imperial with the smaller receiver. I use an old 24AW, with the shank turned down, on that. I've had that mouthpiece for 23 years and it's quite different to the modern 24AWs.
    It says Corp. after Vincent Bach on it. Does that make it a 'Mount Vernon'?

21. Tuba Dave

Tuba Dave Member

About 9 months ago i changed from a dennis wick 3L to a Perrantucci and i noticed a huge diffrence in my sound straight away! (for the better mind you!!) :D

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Perantucci
    Vincent Bach
    popular type of tuba mouthpiece
    new model Perantucci
    comforatable