what make of trumpet? desperate help needed!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by suhollick, Dec 12, 2006.

1. suhollick

suhollick New Member

Hey all,
    Ok so I know that trumpets aren't brass bandy but my pal wants one for his 40th and his wife doesn't know which one to get. I play horn so i'm rubbish for any help. So, if anyone has a good idea of what to buy it'd really help! :sup - not mega bucks but a decent one. thank you thank you thank you

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    mega bucks
    brass bandy
    good idea
    sup
    trumpets
  3. Adrian Horn

Adrian Horn Member

Depending on the cash she wants to spend have a look at the Yamaha 4335. A good, well built, intermediate trumpet that isn't going to fall apart and is good enough to take you to decent level of playing.

If thats a bit too pricey then the Yamaha 2335 isn't too bad either.

4. Glehany

Glehany Member

For a pro level trumpet Bach Strads are popular and good ones are excellent. The professional Yamahas are good and the new xeno trumpet is great. It does depend on what kind of playing the trumpet is for though. An idea of potential uses and budget and your pal's standard of playing would make it easier to make suggestions. I think Strads and Xenos are around the grand mark if you shop around.

My B flat is a Schilke B1 and I use it mostly for orchestral. I'd never found a trumpet that blew better - until I tried an Eclipse that is. Schilkes and Eclipses are both around the two grand mark new I think.

Gordon

5. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

What sort of standard is the player in question?

If they are a beginner, I would go with Adrian's suggestion of the Yamaha 4335 (or 4335G if possible).
    If they are more advanced, get them to Phil Parkers (or somewhere similar to try advanced models out) and GET THE ONE THAT WORKS FOR THEM.

DO NOT get something cheap from Ebay - if an instrument looks too good to be true, it probably is.

6. cookie2

cookie2 Member

I'd have to agree with this. I have a Bach Strad and it's a brilliant instrument. It got a fair bit of hammer when I was at uni and there's never been a thing wrong with it. I don't play it much now but even so I can get it out of the case after months and with a quick splash of valve oil it's perfect again. They're a really easy blow too. :tup

7. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

You must have a good one then, they can be hit and miss from a quality and playing perspective....

8. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

It's really important to find a trumpet that suits the player, so I would agree with the above poster who suggested going along to Phil Parker's and trying a load of trumpets out. Only problem is, you have to be quite brave and just try them out in the shop while everyone else listens.

What kind of playing does your friend do? Mainly orchestral? Jazz? Different trumpets suit different occasions.

I have a Schilke B5, which I love, but it's completely unsuited to orchestral playing. Often end up borrowing a Strad if I'm doing something like that, but can't bear them normally. Obviously mouthpiece choice will affect the kind of sound you're after as well. A lot of pros who play on Strads end up modifying them. They're not as good as they used to be. Will Spencer, based in Surrey, does a lot of trumpet modifications.

A FANTASTIC beginner / intermediate model is a Holton T602, which I used to play on until about two months ago. Really good value and suits lots of different styles of playing.

9. Adrian Horn

Adrian Horn Member

My initial response for the Yamaha 4335 was presuming you were buying an instrument for a beginner... if thats not the case then there are lots of professional quality instruments from £1000 upto £6000 in cost to try out.... but you must get him to try them out before you buy. It is pointless spending money on a professional quality instrument without trying it out because, as DaisyDuck rightly says, they all play differently and what will work for one person won't feel right for another.

And if you find one you like, buy that one, not another of the same model as even instruments from the same line can play differently. I love my Bach Strad 180ML/43 but I have also played duff versions of the same model.

Currently you may struggle to find good Bachs as the factory has been on strike for 8 months.

So if your after a good quality starting model then I still recommend the Yamaha 4335.

If your after professional quality instruments then try out pro models from the following makers and buy the one that finds your style of playing:

Bach Stradivarious
    Yamaha Xena
    Eclipse
    Taylor
    Kanstul
    Getzen
    Edwards
    Stomvi
    Courtios
    hub van Laar
    Inderbinen
    Flip Oakes
    Geneva
    Selmer Paris

They all make great trumpets.

If you pick up one second hand then again as Daisy Duck recommends, send it to Will Spencer.. He can make almost any trumpet play well once he's finished with it.

10. Cornet_player

Cornet_player Member

Id recommend the Yamaha 4335 its a fab intermediate trumpet, I play a B&S Challenger II and love it-wouldnt change it for anything else!!

11. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Which only goes to prove TrumpetMike's point about finding the instrument which works for YOU and not anyone else; I use my B5 for Orchestral playing all the time ...

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    mega bucks
    brass bandy
    good idea
    sup
    trumpets
  13. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

You have something against Schilkes ... ?

14. BrianT

BrianT Member

Don't think you have to spend a fortune. At one of the trade stands at a band competition recently there was a trumpet being sold for £60 (I think they were having a clear out). Whilst it wasn't as good as a pro instrument (but then you wouldn't expect it to be at that price), it was a perfectly acceptable instrument. The tuning was OK, it was free blowing. The only thing against it was that above a certain volume level it left you feeling a bit restrained. And the notes didn't "slot" quite as precisely as they do for a more expensive instrument. But it's the law of diminishing returns. You can pay 10 times as much but you won't get 10 times the instrument. Don't get into comparing "badges" and thinking one make is rubbish and another is brilliant. Play, then decide.

15. mjwarman

mjwarman Member

I use a Bach Strad 43 M/L, and have had absolutley no trouble with it at all, apart from the black marks that get around the bell and the valve casing due to how thin the Lacquer is. Of course, I did try about 6 or 7 at the music shop before I decided on which one to buy!!

One of the other players in our band also has a strad, but I find his much harder to play. It is all about personal preference. I've tried a xeno too, and even though this was very easy to blow, I found that the tone achieved was nowhere near what I could get on the Strad. To cut a long story short, try before you buy!

These opinions are my own and are not meant to offend anyone! :icon_lol:

16. Glehany

Glehany Member

As with bands there's an issue about being conventional. If you don't play on a Strad or a Yamaha pro model, even in amateur orchestras you'll have to work harder to prove yourself. Much like not playing a Sov or a Yamaha in bands (turn up to band with a getzen cornet and see what happens). Bach and Yamahas are a safe bet. Only be unconventional if you want the extra scrutiny.

Also, how something feels initially can be deceptive, playing in a practice room or a shop and how it sounds out in the audience can be very different. You also don't know how your chops will hold up playing what may be a large bore instruments for a few days - so if you're going to trust your own judgement on choosing something less conventional then try to make sure you have a week or so to try it out at home and in any ensembles you play in (just like with a cornet), and take it to a teacher. (Parker's will usually let you do this)
    ps. the Schilke B1 works very well in orchestras - large bore, large bell! - bookings keep coming! (for now!!)
    Gordon

17. Martyn_Thomas

Martyn_Thomas New Member

You can't go wrong with the Yamaha 4335. It penetrates, rattles and strips wallpaper! However, it doesn't cost the earth.

N.B. Please bear in mind that I do use a Vincent Bach 11EW mouthpiece!!- Similar to the Kenny Baker Special!

18. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

I have currently got a cheap Bb trumpet and a cheap piccolo trumpet (approximately £200 each) to trial and review. So far I can honestly say that they are NOT EVEN CLOSE to worth buying if you are looking for even a semi decent instrument. The comment that you won't get an instrument that is 10 times better if you pay 10 times the price - with this piccolo trumpet - oh yes you will. If you were to puchase a Blackburn piccolo trumpet (which I consider to be the finest piccolo currently available) you would be spending $4500 (approximately £2300). It is worth AT LEAST 10 times more than the rubbish I am currently reviewing.

If you are looking for a professional level instrument, you usually do get something close to what you pay for. Then again, we still have no idea what level of player this is being purchased for. Until that is known, any suggestions are answering a question that hasn't really been asked.

19. Adrian Horn

Adrian Horn Member

No ... sorry!!! Add Schilkes to the list.

As for only Bach's and Yamaha's being used in orchestras well, yes they are fairly standard in orchestras, but its not hard to find players who use other makes. In this country and the USA:

Ian Balmain, Principal Trumpet RPO - Eclipse C
    Manny Laureano, Principal Trumpet Minnisota Symphony - Monette

are 2 obvious examples without having to search.

And in Europe, Scherzer, Schagerl, Monke, Lechner and many other makes are the preferred instruments of choice.

As TrumpetMike says... you do get what you pay for even with student model instruments. If you are buying an instrument for a beginner, surely you want to get them an instrument that is solid, reliable and well built and able to take a battering, but that also plays well and in tune. If you give a beginner an instrument that plays badly and that you are have to fight to keep in tune or even, on some cheap models, make a half reasonable sound, then that student is going to give up very quickly. Give them and instrument that can be played to a decent standard, then the student will spend more time learning to play and not just learning how to fight the instrument in hand.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2006
  20. Glehany

Glehany Member

Sorry to be narky, but I didn't say "Only Bachs and Yamahas (are) being used in orchestras", I don't use them either - my B flat is a Schilke, E flat a B&S 4v, and picc a Kanstul. ( What pros use in orchestras is not really relevant to the original post either). But they are strongly favoured by advanced students and in amateur orchestral circles - so if you go for something else, expect extra scrutiny. If you turn up with an eclipse (or a Schilke for that matter) people will wonder what you're about, and if you're starting out in orchestras and not too confident having a flash instrument won't do you any favours. Right or wrong, being conventional means people are less likely to prejudge you; people make judgements of you based on lots of different things, far more than just your playing. I'm not saying you should play a Bach or a Yamaha, just that you should think about your choice of instrument carefully and these instruments are a safe option in many ways - particularly with the caveats about trialling at home and getting a teacher to have a look at your choice if you're in any doubt.

Gordon

21. Cornet_player

Cornet_player Member

I have to say I agree with Glehany- I played my cornet with my youth wind band for many years and when I started at anouther wind band they insisted on me playing trumpet- I got a Yamaha trumpet simply because thats what was expected (the whole section played Yamaha 4335's). I love my Yamaha it was a great instrument for me to start out on, and I just 'slotted' into the section- in terms of both playing and socially. I think this had alot to do with the fact that I 'lived up to expectations' I guess- I didnt question why we all played yamahas I just did it.

When I started uni i choose to buy a B&S Challenger, but only because that was my preferance of all the instruments that i tried- I have more confidence in my own playing ability now- so its less important for me to follow the crowd (I think).

22. BrianT

BrianT Member

You tried these cheaper instrument first and then passed comment, which is the open-minded thing to do. At least you didn't write them off without even playing them because they were cheap and didn't have a well-known name. You may find a gem if you keep trying - they're not all rubbish because they're cheap.