What made Whit Friday 2005 special for me was....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by sterlingsop, May 21, 2005.

1. sterlingsop

sterlingsop Member

.....Middleton doing the Mexican wave to greet HBB's band at Roundthorn!!! Oh yes, that and Jingle Bells/Amarillo serenade too. That poor policeman - I bet he doesn't volunteer for Whit Friday again next year!

What else made this year's Whit Friday a special one for you?
  2. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

Bumping into, quite literally, the tMPers!

I've been Dinie'd, Vickitorious'd, HBB'd, The Music Man'd, Roger Thorne'd, Big Twigge'd, MickM'd, Drummergurl'd & Nuke'd!!

Sorry if I've left anyone out!!

Thanks to Andrea (YBS) for a lift home!

I didn't enjoy the march off at Delph. Our 2nd horn had gone to the little girls room & we were formed up. I tried to run in to get her but the pub was rammed. Heard the knock on, legged it back out & was passed a horn. Not mine but also no music. Good job I could remember most of Army of the Nile. Think it was here that a load of tMP band shouted my name as we set off! Thanks guys!! :oops:
    Last edited: May 21, 2005
  3. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

You were nearly BBCBari'd...I saw Bolton at Greenfield, but couldn't find you!!
    (Maybe its because as soon as I saw them I ran the other way ;) )

For me, I thought the scenery (and weather to go with it) was just gorgeous!!

I am also a sucker for the beautiful tone of a cornet solo in a trio (heard that quite a few times from various bands)
  4. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

.... that mad dancing woman, skipping along behind the bands at Delph. :clap:

and telling a certain 'Premier' band that no, they couldn't push in front of us and must wait their turn like everybody else :mad: (nice to get a win over a big name - even if its not by our playing :D )
  5. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

For me it was the chance to wear the fabled tMP Shower Cap (I am enriched!) and seeing Vickitorious make her bass drum debut - it's ON the beat Vic!!!!!!

Rach x
  6. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

Gutted!! :(

Huh?!?! :confused:
  7. SBB

SBB Member

For me it was the detour from Scouthead, to denshaw. We missed one vital turning and had to pass through Marsden then Slaithwate and then into Huddersfield, coming back into denshaw off the motorway!!!

Lovely scenary however, and 'Big Dave' was getting rather excited at seeing the viaduct off 'Where the Heart is" haahaa!
  8. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

i saw soooooo many tmpers, (sorry if i miss anyone) i saw dinie, vicki, big twigge, roger thorne, themusicman, dyl, 2mandown, HBB, hornikaz, the tMP band (sorry dont know everyone)...

that and having the coach give up completely at denshaw. :tup fantastic!
  9. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

What made Whit friday special for me...(in no particular order)
    • the nearly 7 hour journey there (instead of just under 3hr) causing us to arrive quite late
    • Meeting some old and some new tmpers
    • Drinking some beer (in a Chinese restaurant...genius Elin!)
    • Laughing at pointless things for hours and hours
    • going to bed rather late and waking up relatively early
    • being laughed at for many things, particularly to do with my degree...!
    • taking part in the eating of probably the biggest pizza I've ever seen in my life
    • Returning from the toilet to get my drink and to be greeted with a meat and potato pie in the pub
    • Playing themouthpiece.com whist being conducted by the composer himself Mr Darrol Barry (thanks for that)
    hmm, that's about it for now I think.
  10. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Whit Friday was special for me because...

I was enjoying a nice pint at Uppermill outside a pub safe in the knowledge that my cornet was safe on the band coach...then seeing the band coach pass by and go up the road. Having to run after it all the way through the march route and beyond, leg it back just in time to start the road march. Twas fun! ;)

Making a complete mess of the Cornet duet bit (and probably most of the rest of the march) of the contest march at Scouthead, the first march of the night because of the gale force crosswind blowing the music and lyre almost off the cornet!

Was nice having Darroll Barry conduct the last march of the evening at Greenfield, excellent march you wrote there Darroll :tup

Also hitting the bass drum at Dobcross for the road march was great fun, getting to wear the (now infamous) tMP shower cap and getting a few funny stares. Also the lady organiser at Dobscross who claimed she couldn't take me seriously with the shower cap on...as if taking it off would have made any difference?!!

11. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Last edited: May 21, 2005
  12. six pints

six pints Active Member

i cant decide what made it more special for me- the 8 hours of revision, burning my finger, or the migraine....

glad u guys all had a good day tho!
  13. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

I particularly enjoyed the sneiwalzer style shunkeling we did just before the mexican wave, it was pure crazyness YEAH!!!!
  14. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Well, this was my first Whit Friday... so I guess that was special within itself... Was ashame that Standish didn't go out in the end; however I had an enjoyable time with Blackley, having a blow on cornet... saw the Barry's hanging about in Greenfield.... gutted I didn't see tmp band...

Had a good time overall though... Environment was great...

15. sterlingsop

sterlingsop Member

More magic moments for me last night included being saved from dehydration by one of my oldest mates in Greenfield as we were about to knock on - cheers Anne! - and meeting one of my newest mates for the first time in the flesh- hi Rach, sorry to dash off so soon but you know what it's like when you're late to form up. Oops!

It was also very special to see Blackley on the circuit after their recent difficulties. Well done Aidy, you dun good lad - not only nice to see you in a suit (mwahahaha!) but also nice to see Blackley's name on a trophy too.

The magickest moment of the night was definitely in Grenfelt ;). Mama mia!
  16. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

The Chines pub was particularly amazing - think the little Chinese guy was a bit freaked about having his pic taken with us tho - esp as we made him pose with a flugel!!!!

Rach x
  17. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

PLAYING THE BASS DRUM!!! :biggrin::biggrin:

And all the laughs we had back at the hotel with the 'phonecalls' and 'Magic man' :p :rolleyes:

Twas a great day out! woooooo!!
    :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: :woo:bounce
  18. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Managed to work out how to play, march and hold a pint at the same time at delph... possibly the finest moment of my playing career...
  19. shandy lee

shandy lee Member

The thing I enjoyed most was playing more correct notes in the march, and contest piece in the dark at greenfields than I did while playing in daylight hours,

Meeting so many fab people, that made the night, we all got on fantastically. Thanks
  20. tubadaz

tubadaz Member

Having a fantastic time with Emley Band!! :) :)
    Thanks for a good night! :guiness

AVE IT!!