What is your least favourite piece of music?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by eflatbass, Mar 16, 2011.

1. eflatbass

eflatbass Supporting Member

For me, it has to be Pachelbel’s Canon. I am not berating the brass band arrangement, against which I have no complaints, but the original composition.

Having had the misfortune to play it through a whole season’s concerts some years ago, I often fought tiredeness and boredom, despite the euph part having a few semi quaver bits to jog me into life every so often.

Barry

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  2. _si

_si Member

There is nothing worse than an out of tune Born Free :)

3. Heather17

Heather17 Member

Spectrum hurts my ears !

4. eflatbass

No one did it quite like Matt Monro, did they?:)

5. eflatbass

Mr. Vintner will be turning in his grave! But I know what you mean.

6. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Anything with the name Barnaerts on it !

7. eflatbass

What about a certain march with the high horn bits?:)

8. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

No, they're fine. I can do high, well D above the stave, higher than that it must be a printing error.
    And anyway , I said Barnaerts, not Brookes.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  9. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Sorry to say you are wrong Vinter is a legend and knew how to write good quality music for brass bands:clap:

10. andyp

andyp Active Member

"Nothing compares 2 U" sung by Sinead O'Connor.

Although "autotune" is an abomination she could really have done with it - it's fingernails on a blackboard excruciating.

Band wise either the Floral Dance or Concerto No.1 for Brass Band - I love almost all Derek Bourgeois' music, just *not* that one......

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Shining Star
    Christmas
    Carollers
    words
  12. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

For start anything played by radios like Galaxy...oops I mean Capital fm - I personally hate it, especially rap which isn't even music!

Also not very keen on the Talisman - (4th section test piece)

13. Ginge

Ginge Member

Am I the only person thinking that Pachelbel's Cannon is a strange choice?
    I think it's a fantastic piece of music!

14. eflatbass

Oh dear! There is no way I am going to argue with a Royal Marine!:oops:

15. Ginge

Ginge Member

Haha, Just your opinion, that's fine. Just wondered if anyone else shared it.

16. Well my least favourite has to be Finlandia... way too long and goes nowhere.
    Spectrum and the cannon i thgink are great.. just goes to say it's all about individual taste again.

17. Heather17

Heather17 Member

I know my own ears Ian ... and it honestly HURTS my ears... if you look at a previous reply of mine you will see that Vinters James Cook is my favourite, favourite piece of ALL time (bar none!) ... so , I wasnt getting at him personally .... the question of the thread is 'what is your least favourite piece of music' NOT ' who is your least favourite composer!!!!
    :confused:

18. katieeuph

katieeuph Member

Spectrum is one of the most AMAZING pieces ever written for brass band, and is one of those pieces which is just as great to play as to listen to. Vinter is a legend and captures the 'characteristics' of each colour perfectly (in my opinion!!).
    Have to agree on the Pachelbel front as I have to say it winds me up....though it's probably due to the fact that I use it to teach 'Ground Bass' to year 9 and regularly hear it murdered by them and the dozens of string players I've taught over the years who seem to love to play it for their GCSE ensemble performances!

19. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

Pomp and circumsise......its like ripping your toenails out and dousing the bleeding ends in malt vinegar......(without the positives)

20. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

The Lazy Trumpeter

I leave a band if this rears its ugly score and parts out of the library :mad:

21. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

The old brown music arrangements of "Oklahoma" and "West Side Story" will have me reaching for my gun or committing serious physical violence on the MD that puts them in front of me.

Cambridge's sets of these may possibly have accidentally gone on fire a bit some time ago , apparently.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Shining Star
    Christmas
    Carollers
    words