What is your favourite march? (The Big Poll)

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by AJSOP, Mar 4, 2004.

Favourite March...

1. Army Of The Nile

2. The Cossack

3. Punchinello

4. Simoraine

5. knight Templar

6. The Captain

0 vote(s)
  7. Death Or Glory

8. Queensbury

9. The Senator

10. Contestor

11. The President

12. The New Colonial

13. Honest Toil

0 vote(s)
  14. Imperial Echoes

15. The Gladiators Farewell

0 vote(s)
  16. Other

1. AJSOP

AJSOP Member

so what is everybodys favourite march?
  2. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

Honest Toil for me, but DBB signature Punchinello is close behind..
  3. I have some mixed feelings on marches.

Bands often feel compelled to start a concert or rehersal with a march. Whilst respecting those older marches.......I prefer, to be honest, summat like Barnard Castle (bright and breezy), and I think the public probably like em also....Although just get the audiences attention with any lively tune that they know?

We at Cubbington Silver Band, have our very own march - CEB (composed by Nigel Horne, and a bright and breezy march it is, the trad "trio" is a morris dancing tune) - (stands for Cubbington Ear Biters - a long story, summat to do with a football match many years ago when a player bit the other players ear off - folks from Cubbington are now often known as ear biters!!!) :?

Has anyone had a hard two hour rehersal, and the MD says "what shall we finish off with" - and a voice from the basses says "lets play a nice easy march"!!!!! So out comes Cossack, or Castle Coch or Punchinello...........lip busters for a tired cornet player lol.

There are some good modern marches coming out these days..........

IYOUNG Member

Viva Birkenshaw for me

Although I really do like James Andersons Goldcrest at the moment.

5. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

None in the list get my vote. Praise by Heaton does though! Closely followed by Celebration by Les Condon.
  6. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Heaton's Praise is great. My personal favorite is even older, Pressing Onward by Erik Leidzen.
  7. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

None on the list, although if I had to choose one it would be Knight Templar.

Praise is superb and Le Tricot Rouge, also by Heaton, is excellent too.

Of the 'Whit Friday' favourites my choice to hear would be ORB or The Wizard. My top Rimmer march is not so well known - The Arabian.

8. Moy

Moy Active Member

Didn't really marches when I played cornet/flugel but since going onto horn love RAVENSWOOD
    Ace solo horn part. :wink:
  9. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

If we're talking Heaton then surely Glory! Glory! must get a mention! Surely the ultimate concert march? Shame it's not played more often!
  10. purcell thwaites

purcell thwaites New Member

Anyone heard of a march called Simplicity? Dont know who its by but is really good.
  11. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

The originator of this thread is probably unfamiliar with SA marches, of which there are hundreds. Generally speaking they have a different feel to "contest" marches. Many are very good and finely written -- bands could do well to dig a little deeper into the SA repertoire. True, there's usually a hymn tune or known SA song included and that often makes them joyful (eg. Goldcrest).

Of the older, more traditional ones check out:
    Bramwell Coles (who's been called the SA's Sousa), eg. Victors Acclaimed, Heroes of the Combat, Glory of the Combat (too many good ones to list here)
    George Marshall, eg. The Liberator, Spirit of Praise
    Erik Leidzen, eg. Pressing Onward, Steadily Onward, Following the Flag
    Dean Goffin, eg. Crusaders, Anthem of the Free
    Norman Bearcroft, not so much old style but lyrical: ask World of Brass!
    Many more recent ones, too numerous to mention (I'm not up-to-date anyway).

Then there's Wilfred Heaton, who stands apart from the rest for individuality. In addition to Praise (the one that really broke the mould and gets plenty of performances still), there's Le Tricot Rouge and Glory, Glory -- all SA influenced marches and highly original.
  12. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Probably more for reasons of boyhood nostalgia than anything else, but my personal favourite has to be "Montreal Citadel" (Norman Audoire)

13. skweeky

skweeky Member

army of the nile for me! :lol:
    Its got the best sop part! well ive only played:
    army of the nile
    knight templar
    Death or Glory
    the president
    new colonial
    imperial echoes
    gladiators farewell
    out of all them.

Praise is also a great march!!!!!! :p
  14. Wonky_Baton

Wonky_Baton Active Member

Old Comrades for me. Went to Germany with Peterlee Band and found a pub open to 7 every morning. Used to get up at 12 and drink all day till 7 the next morning. First pub in the day had a juke box with Alte Kameraden on it. We used to order the beer and sausage and put this march on the sounds box. Whilst me and my mate ate and drank to the booming march the barman danced behind the bar playing the spoons. Happy days!! Mind Peterlee band have just started to speak again after 20 years. :lol:
  15. AJSOP

AJSOP Member

sorry but the poll would only allow so many answers so couldnt include all the marches. had bout 40 at the start, submitted them and told me i had too many. shame!
  16. tex b

tex b New Member

Honest Toil gets my vote. Excellent march .
  17. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Can't believe you haven't included Ravenswood - isn't it the most played march on Whit Friday? Its my favourite to play because solo horn seems to have got the sop part by mistake 8)

2nd choice would probably be The Cossack or Viva Rimmer
  18. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Agree with this - Ravenswood is just fantastic.

I also like Valdres March. (Can't remember the composer). First played it on a NYBBGB course many, many, many years ago and have loved it to bits ever since. Great soprano part.
  19. Toby

Toby Member

Mephistopheles is easily my favourite contest march.
  20. i agree with toby, mephi is a gr8 march and im surprized no1else has mentioned it yet, yes ravenswood is also very good, i kinda like president altho ive only played it once, a march ive played recently which is pretty good is star lake by i think eric ball, plenty 4 trombones 2 do in that 1!, isnt it pretty fair 2 say that coz there r so many marches nowadays that its extreamly difficult 2 say wot our alltime favourite march is coz ur pickin 1 march from 1000's here surely!