What is this tune please?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by David Mann, Dec 9, 2008.

1. David Mann

David Mann Member

We heard this tune while on holiday and thought "oh, that's..." but couldn't think what it was. Maybe a kid's TV theme? Anybody know title / publisher / composer / what it was featured in?

Hope 4 bars of tune doesn't constitute publication of an illegal arrangement! :oops: (Yes, I've read the threads).

Attached Files:

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Hope 4
    publication
    bars of tune
    composer
    title
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Oooo-errrr! Very familar tune indeed ... and annoying not to know what it is. I wonder if it belongs to Percy Grainger ... I'll try and check!

4. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

If it's something from the classical repertoire then the recently republished Directory of Classical Themes by Denys Parsons might help you. It is a reference book of some 15,000 tunes.

All you have to do is say whether each note is up, down or the same as the previous note and this gives you a 'code' which you can then look up to identify the tune.

So your tune's code would be DUUDUUUDDDDDUU.

As the title suggests though, it will only work if your snippet is from the classics!

5. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

It does not sound even remotely familiar to me! :oops: It starts a bit like Judas Maccabeus (but in 6/8 ). It does also sound a bit like a folk tune, so maybe RVW or PG did do something with it.

6. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Yes, it's definitely 'Oh, that's...' ;)

Annoyingly familiar - any more info? (e.g. orchestral, strings, piano, tempo....)

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I'm googling telly theme tune samples at the mo'. Tony Hatch is the closest I've found (... I think it has a '60s feel about it). This could take forever and a day .... :-?

8. Baton twirler

Baton twirler Member

Could it the theme from the kids programme Mr Men?

9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Not quite, but on the same lines ... listen here

10. Chris Thomas

Chris Thomas Member

If you double the note lengths, it does make a pleasing little counter-melody for the opening of the 3rd movement of Salute to Youth!

Chris.

11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

The theme tune to Jim'll Fix It might work as well then :rolleyes:

I've just ploughed through another site but not found it yet .... here (good memories though!)

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Hope 4
    publication
    bars of tune
    composer
    title
  13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

14. David Mann

David Mann Member

Our initial thoughts were that it was either a theme tune or incidental music from Trumpton, Chigley or Camberwick Green but we haven't been able to confirm this. Tempo dotted crotchet ~ 120 I think.

15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I've checked them and sadly nope! Definitely a UK based theme though. It's just a shame most of them are very similar! :oops:

16. David Mann

David Mann Member

One thing I didn't mention was that we heard the tune in France, so I wonder if it could be from a dubbed series - Magic Roundabout perhaps (obviously not the main theme, apols to anyone who won't be able to get that tune out of their head now).

17. David Mann

David Mann Member

Still trying to find this tune (see OP for music) - someone must know!

18. Scottw

Scottw Member

the melody seems to have a touch of the "ascot gavotte" from the musical "My Fair Lady". would be quite useful, if still in memory, to give us another thumbnail, with the next few bars.