What is this instrument?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by thomasd3, Sep 1, 2016.

1. thomasd3

thomasd3 New Member

First thing, let me preface my question: I am very clueless about brass! which is why I came to this forum :)

I'm recreating the song from this link:

Around 5:20 there is a brass lead, I am not sure if it is a trumpet, a trombone, etc. This is an 8bit sample from the Amiga, but I'm trying to get this re-recorded with the proper instrument.

Can anyone help identify it?

Also, at the end of the sample the sound "flares up", not sure how to describe it, but I'm sure there is a technical term for this as well. Can anyone tell me more about it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  2. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

The 'lead' is some kind of trumpet sound, although it goes quite low. I hear no 'flare up' at the end, but a fade out!

If you are after recreating this on accoustic instruments, you are going to struggle. The timbres/tones are really quite different.
  3. Hsop

Hsop Member

Great that you still have a working Commodore Amiga. I had one as a teenager around 20 years ago and spent many hours playing games when I should have probably been playing my cornet!
  4. thomasd3

thomasd3 New Member

Hsop: I have a few Amigas, etc as I kept a whole collection of vintage computers!

Mike: as it was using a sample, it is possible that it was taken out of the trumpet's natural range.
    Right now I am trying to figure out who I should hire to play that part. So, you think a trumpet will not do it? what would be the best brass instrument with that range and a similar timbre?
  5. cjwood555

cjwood555 Member

Sounds like a brass section or chorused trumpet sample with some sort of sine-based synth doubling it. The flaring effect you mention sounds like a filter sweep IMHO.

Doable on trumpet/cornet but probably not the timbre you're after - at least not without recreating the synth doubling and doing a bit of processing.

6. jobriant

jobriant Member

That lead line sounds like something synthesized on a keyboard, something that's supposed to sound like a trumpet but really doesn't quite do the job correctly. It's an interesting sound, but one that is far more "electronic" than a real live person on a trumpet or other brass instrument.