What is this instrument? Is it a weird trumpet or not an instrument at all?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by euphsrock, May 15, 2011.

1. euphsrock

euphsrock Member

I was watching Eurovision last night and during the act from Moldova a strange trumpet like instrument was played, but not your normal trumpet. Couldn't quite work it out. Not even sure if it is an actual working instrument or just for show! Some very interesting hair dos going on too.....

Anyway, below is a link. Any clues as to what the guy in yellow is playing? Get a close up about 1:30 in.

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Is it a bass trumpet?
  3. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

It looks like the pipes at the back don't join..... am guessing it's been made up in a shed somewhere ..... doesn't look properly bass trumpetty?

You can see this if you compare with the pic of our own BassTrumpet guru...... :D

and btw..... I thought Moldova and Italy were the best things on there! :clap::clap::clap:
  4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I'm sure that guy in the group normally plays trombone, so logically ...

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  5. euphsrock

euphsrock Member

That's what I thought. But hard to get a clear view.
  6. winterman

winterman Member

The tubing at the back indeed doesn't seem to join, as stated earlier, however there does appear to be a small "trumpet" bell mounted underneath which does seem to be attached. Blatantly miming though, with nice use of an invisible trombone in there (which I suppose could be the Bass Trumpet sound in theory, but not on the day)?!

Reminds me how glad I was to actually miss the entire charade, although it does beat any of the dross Simon C churns out of his bowels, just! ;)
  7. TubaRuss

TubaRuss New Member

Looks like a trumpet with the bell section of a trombone soldered to it..... for visual use only!
  8. Big - C

Big - C New Member

It might be a baritone. They are weird instruments...
  9. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

You sad, sad, person.
  10. I am at school, and cannot see it, as youtube is blocked here. I can't wait to get on tonight and have a look.
  11. sjs

sjs Member

What he said...it's quite clearly a perfectly 'normal' trumpet with an extra bit soldered on top presumably for comedy value :confused:
  12. basstrom4eva

basstrom4eva Member

Who cares, they lost!
  13. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

But they should've won! Either them or Italy...... azerbaijan was like the Corrs with added incest. Load od mince! Even Jedward were better!
  14. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Sounds like a baritone to me....... ;)
  15. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

16. bbg

bbg Member

I am quite frankly disgusted at the antics of several of our renowned posters on this topic.
    Not only does one deserve excommunication from the fellowship of tMP for admitting to watching the Eurovision Mime Contest, but no-one correctly identifies the instrument.

It is of course a fine example of an ancient Egyptian welcoming trumpet.

Such instruments were displayed outside house doors, on elaborate stands or frameworks (the more elaborate, the higher the social standing of the householder), awaiting the visits of friends and acquaintances. Egyptian homes in days gone by being spacious, such large bells were required to properly carry the sound of greeting throughout the building.

When a close friend or indeed relative arrived at a home, he (the sounding of the trumpet being in those days an exclusively male preserve) was therefore invited to..........

Toot and Come In.
  17. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Badumtish! :roll::clap:
  18. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  19. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

Sorry to go slightly off-topic, but is Jedward now a country? ;)
  20. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Yay! The Retards Republic of Jedward! :tup