What is this instrument called

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Adam's Dad, Sep 18, 2013.

  1. Adam's Dad

    Adam's Dad New Member

    Hi All

    I'm trying to identify the instrument that produces a sort of high pitched, ascending and descending whistle. It's probably more associated with circus performances, but it appears in the clip on the link below at about 11 to 12 seconds in.

    Some people I spoke to suggested that it is a swanee whistle but I'm not so sure. I think those were used to produce the sounds in the TV programme 'Clangers' - if you are old enough to remember that programme that is. Unfortunately I am!

    If anyone can help, I'd be really grateful.

    Thanks very much

  2. Brian

    Brian Member

    Hi Richard, its a siren or as some call it an orchestral siren
    P.S. You have one at Bestwood
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  3. phildriscoll

    phildriscoll Moderator Staff Member

  4. Adam's Dad

    Adam's Dad New Member

    Thanks Brian. Unfortunately it's a case of USED to have . . . . . !!
  5. Adam's Dad

    Adam's Dad New Member

    Thanks Phil
    You wouldn't believe how embarrassing it was trying to describe what it was in a shop full of people!