What is the strangest way you have ever transported...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Big Twigge, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

a timp?

We have used mum's Kangoo on occasion for moving percussion (and on other occasions sheep), but that's basically a van anyway (although don't tell her I said that!).
    Today however,I was sitting on a bus and saw a bloke and a woman putting a timp into the back of a sarb convertable - percussion travelling in style!
    Any other unique transporting methods?
  2. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Not really a transporting method, but we used to keep our timps on a balcony in the hall we rehearse in (before the balcony was condemned!!) which meant we had to lower and lift them on a rope, with somebody else guiding them while climbing the ladder...not at all risky!

Only one small accident in the 9 years that I have been with the band, where the rope slipped and the timp clouted someone on the head. I'm glad to say it didn't do any long term harm (either to him or the timp), although it didn't knock much sense into him either!

3. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Not a timp but two whole brass bands....
    A few years ago Carlton Brass and Nottingham City Transport Bands took part in a program called Panic Mechanics. The contestants on the show had two days to convert 2 minis to transport a full brass band and all their instruments around a race track.
    One mini was stretched length wise and the other was widened at the back so it looked like a wedge of cheese. NCT band had a sedate cruise around the track in a mini that basically ended up being a bus that could seat about 20 people. Carlton Brass had to risk life and limb being ferried in relay at high speed in the smaller contraption that could only take 5 at a time.
    The wedge shaped mini lost the race and so was repeatedly hoisted up on a crane and dropped from a height of about 40 feet until it was an unrecognisable piece of scrap.
    Luckily they let us off first.
    Great fun - and they paid us a shed load of money to do it too.
  4. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

When we shifted bandroom a few years ago, we shifted all the stuff using our cattle floats and tractors, as 2 or 3 of us being farmers, it was the easiest and cheapest way!

And yes we did make sure there was no cow poo in there and the floats were cleaned out before hand!
  5. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

We had two timps a bass and a baritone in the back of a peogout (sp?) 106 or 206 for the whychavon contest this year!! that will take some beating!! :clap: :biggrin: ooooo and a driver and passanger aswell!!!!!!!!! :biggrin:
  6. Di

Di Active Member

Into my tiny little hyundai amica I can squeeze a full 5 piece drum kit complete with ironware, cymbals and stool, a horn, a baritone, two children and a driver. :)

Being christmastime should that read : 5 round drums, 4 shiney cymbals, 3 cymbal stands, 2 chatty kids and a mumsie at the wheel! ;)

Coat! :redface:
  7. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

surley all cars have horns anyway????????

Coat! :redface:
  8. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

I regularly have 2 timps, 2 basses, 1 baritone and some other odds and ends of percussion in the back of my meriva. My first car was a nova saloon and the record I fitted in the boot was 1 Eb bass, 2 troms, 1 baritone, 2 tenor horns and 2 cornets plus all 8 players inside the car. The strangest way I've ever travelled as a band was at Sacriston Carnival a few years ago. When the council approached us to play we advised we couldn't march due to the elderly age of some of our members. "No problem" came the reply "we'll provide a flat bed lorry for you to sit on and lead the parade" What actually landed was a small truck usually used for carrying concrete. We managed to fit 10 of us on the wagon to play and the bass drummer marched behind just to give us a beat. The rest of the band just fell about laughing.
  9. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Anyone who has been to our (old) bandroom will know all about the stairs. Narrow with three doglegs and three banister rails to negotiate. Our 28" time just about went straight down but the 30" was a bit like doing a very heavy chinese wire puzzle. It would go down there (and up again!) but only if you had the right bits in the right places. Oh how we laughed....:rolleyes:

My favorite though is not a timp but a BBb bass. Many years ago we had a bass player who would come to practice on his push bike. No problem there, but he would always carry his bass too. Every practice night he could be seen on the way home riding up the hill to Countesthorpe with a BBb bass tucked under his right arm. He's quite a big bloke, but to this day I have no idea how he kept upright.
  10. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

our timps get carted about in the back of my zafira, whatever garry's driving at the time or anyone else's car that cares to volunteer.
  11. Janet Watkins

Janet Watkins Member

Anyone who has played on the bandstand in Peasholm Park Scarborough will have had the pleasure of transporting the whole band (including timps) across to the bandstand in the middle of the lake!

Fortunately this is not using the 'Swan Pedalloes', but a motorised pleasure boat which can take approximately ten people and some equipment at a time!

A shuttle service has to be arranged for the half time comfort break!
  12. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Aye, we've done that too!! :p
  13. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Transported timps iin the aircraft hanger of a Royal Navy frigate from Portsmouth to Bermuda, had to keep stopping the Helicopter engineers from using it as a buffet table, card table and stand for tools!!
  14. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

That's what I like about being a lady percussionist...you can just stand there and say "oh no, it's far too heavy for me" and get somebody to shift the stuff for you!

I think a band I used to play for took the timps all the way up to North Wales in the boot of the coach once, I spent the whole journey petrified as to what state they'd be in at the end! They were ok though, luckily. And an ex-boyfriend once managed to fit 2 basses, a trombone and a bari sax into his car as well as 5 people.