What IS the point...

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Bob Sherunkle, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Member

of a brass band forum if you can't discuss an interesting story that is already in the public domain?

PS I had not contributed to the "lost" thread but had been enjoying it.

PPS I wonder if anyone can tell me what baritone mouthpiece Kim Jong-un used when he won the North Korean solo championship playing Show Me The Way To Pyongyang.

Baffled Bob
  2. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Well, quite. Lord Leveson's malign influence extending beyond the national press and extending even into the quiet backwaters of the brass band community? Probably not. But the laws of defamation apply to online scribblings every bit as much as to the printed equivalent.

As for the suggestion that Kim Jong-Un is a baritone player, you have forgotten that the Supreme Leader is the world's leading example of the 'cult of personality', into which category I doubt any baritone player would fit comfortably. One of his uncles came to a nasty end last year when he displeased his nephew, so with a surname like yours, Bob, I'd keep away from the wild west of London for a while, if I were you - especially Ealing.
  3. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Member

Indeed Jim

Had a bit of a close shave last time I visited the area in fact...
  4. Pauli Walnuts

Pauli Walnuts Moderator Staff Member

That Kim Jong fella is nothing compared to us Sopranos - had a Baritone player turned up at the Bada Bing the other week - had to whack him I'm afraid. No real musos came to his funeral either.
    (That wasn't reported on here either)
  5. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

What thread?
  6. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

The one about Steve Sykes and Tongwynlais, I presume.

I have to agree with Bob, what's the point in having a messageboard/community when you can't discuss news articles?
    Seriously, the story is on 4BR - it's hardly a secret. Threads about current events that keep people informed and bring up interesting discussions - I don't recall seeing anything in particular that was over the line in that thread, a little petty infighting but not much else.
  7. tromboneyone

tromboneyone Member

A little bit reactionary there, I think. Sadly some people can't have a debate it seems, people getting far too aggresive just because you hold a different view.
  8. tromboneyone

tromboneyone Member

There was a lot of opinion expressed but nothing I could see as approaching libellous (opinions are not libellous).
  9. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

It is totally incorrect to say that opinions are not libellous. They can actually be libellous, and I think it is that possibility that caused the other thread to be taken off.
  10. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

But was anything that was actually posted anywhere near? I didn't see anything that I'd consider even close to it, did you?

It seems a very, very long stretch that that thread would've got the forum in any trouble whatsoever, so did it really need to be taken down?
  11. The Wherryman

It wasn't my judgement call to take the thread down, so my opinion on that doesn't count. I was merely replying to a factually incorrect post. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, they are not entitled to their own facts.
  12. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Member

Morning all

There was nothing approaching defamation on the removed thread. Fact.

Someone made a bit of a pr@t of themself. Opinion.

Bob (not a qualified lawyer)
  13. The Wherryman

The question of whether a statement is defamatory or not is one for a court to decide, not a lawyer (qualified or otherwise), and lawyers, even qualified ones, only give opinions, so, sorry Bob, your 'fact' can only be an opinion.

As no reason for the removal of the thread has been given, there can only be supposition as to that reason anyway. No-one seems to have considered that it may have been decided that the ToS of this site had been breached, specifically the one that asks us not to post "Derogatory or offensive comments about tMP members & non tMP members". Which raises the question as to what might be considered to be 'derogatory or offensive'. The person(s) making those remarks might not think they fall into that category, but the only opinion that matters is that of the site owner and/or moderators. If anyone is not prepared to accept that, they need to find a less considerate forum to plague.
  14. boourns

boourns Member

I think we have to assume the admins had good reason to delete the thread, as in my experience they are not usually quick to do so unnecessarily. If it was deleted merely because it breached the site’s ToS then I think they were misguided, because this place is dying and it was one of the few threads that raised the interest level above ‘stultifying’. If we are to be left only with “what is your favourite trombone mouthpiece” and “which bands are going to <insert contest name>” threads then they might as well pack up and go home.
  15. The Wherryman

So the way to keep this (or any other) forum thriving is to start a thread vilifying a band or a well-known individual, with little or no knowledge of the subject, so engendering posts in their/his/her/defence, followed by more disparaging posts (anonymous, of course), culminating in the removal of the thread? I don't think so.

Has it occurred to you that many of the identifiable, better informed and regular posters have moved on simply because of the number of negative, even abusive, posts that are being made?

I have been amused, informed, even educated over the years I have been a member here, but rarely visit now, because of the number of gratuitously offensive posts.

Fatuous character assassination, in the false guise of passing honest opinion, is no substitute for vigorous, but honest, debate.
  16. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

Im just sorry I never had a chance to read, inwardly digest the comments and then make a daft remark about drummers before it got zapped !
  17. boourns

boourns Member

I’m struggling to believe you actually read the thread in question, because that’s not how I recall it at all.

If that really is the reason you no longer come here often then I can’t imagine where else you dare to venture online, because this is possibly the most genteel corner of the internet I’ve ever come across.

It is telling that many of the more popular recent threads have included a degree of controversy that has stimulated some genuinely interesting, and sometimes intelligent, debate. Hell, even RedOctober’s style of trolling-lite has sparked some lively and entertaining exchanges. Without this a discussion forum is moribund, and what we don’t need, IMHO of course, is any more precious old women ready to flounce out at the first sign of a difference of opinion.
  18. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

I cant help but wonder how many others have just googled "Moribund" to see what it means ?

19. The Godfather

The Godfather Member

Nice post, and I agree with your sentiments. I really miss that pr@t Sonorous, you could loose a good argument with him/her/it.
  20. tromboneyone

tromboneyone Member

I think you need to familiarise yourself with the Defamation Act 2013. Honest opinion is a valid defence under the law. The defence is far more complete than fair comment was under the previous legislation. You essentially have to show the the publisher of the opinion doesn't actially hold it (i.e. they are a liar) to overcome it.

The reality is that nothing on the thread was anywhere near as bad as things you find going unchallenged in the press on a daily basis Accusations of unprofessional behaviour are common place and are clearly honest opinion.

As for your opinions on what was said on the thread, I think you are wrong and you wish to use the threat of libel to cover up the fact that your misinterpretation of what was said is the cause of your offended sensibilities. You seem to be acting as if you are the final arbiter on the truth here when you have no authority to be.

As other posters have said, what is the point of a discussion forum if you can't discuss and share opinion on anything interesting?