What is the plural of "Mr Adjudicator"?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by BrianT, Oct 4, 2006.

1. BrianT

BrianT Member

When I go to contests and there are two adjudicators and the compére says "when you're ready, Mr Adjudicators" it just sound wrong. So how should you address two adjudicators? Messrs Adjudicator? Gentlemen? Nothing sounds right...
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2006
  2. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Messers sounds about right... ;)
  3. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

:clap: Ha ha - Class :clap: :tup
  4. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

It seems to me that the easiest way to resolve this might be simply to use their actual names. ("when you're ready, Mr. xxx and Mr. yyy")

At most, it's three names. Why be so lazy as to not use them? It's not like the names of the adjudicators are a secret.
  5. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

How about:

"Oi! You two in the box! Get a move on, there's a band waiting out here!!" :biggrin:
  6. Di

Di Active Member

Haha, I'd been thinking that too. :)
  7. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

... and perhaps add "..No Conferring Please" ;)
  8. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

I believe the collective noun, A faith, should be used! ;)
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2006
  9. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

Doesn't really matter what you call them - theyre too deaf to hear it anyway.

The important bit is the subtle "double tap" on the microphone first in order to wake them from their well earned nap.
  10. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

I really wish people wouldn't do that :frown:
  11. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Careful !!! Some adjudicators can get very sniffy with you for hinting at this sort of thing !!!Complaints to mods , phone calls to secretaries , recorded delivery letters etc .... allegedly.
  12. BrianT

BrianT Member

...and now please welcome to the stage...

My brother tells me he's seen people tapping an empty microphone stand (no microphone inserted) to see whether it works or not: "Is this thing working?" Some people!

I reckon we should summon the adjudicators using Cockney rhyming slang - e.g. sack o' potaters = adjudicators. You get the idea...
  13. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Like I said, A faith! ;)
  14. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

How about, "OK, time is up, no more guessing. Out you come". Runs and hides. :oops:
  15. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Perhaps a subtle one on the bass drum would be more suitable? ;)
  16. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Right Men theres a few free pints of beer in the bar for you donated by the winning band of this section:biggrin:
  17. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Start all performances with a double tap?? :eek:
  18. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Well, there's one at the start of Contest Music anyway (sort of), although I admit it might detract slightly from, say, Resurgam or Cloudcatcher Fells :D

Maybe some sort of electric shock device would be preferable, to ensure that "Mr Adjudicators" are awake and alert? It always struck me as a little ironic that bands at many contests have an arbitrary time limit to get on stage, set up and ready to play and then they have to wait for the whistle from the box to allow them to play. :-?

Just to stray loosely in the direction of the topic for a moment, I too think that "Mr Adjudicators" is an excrutiating torture of the English language, but I'm not sure what the alternative might be. "Gentlemen of the Jury", maybe?
  19. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Your Honours?
  20. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

How about "Judges of the secret court"......... ;)