What is the most well known brass band instrument?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Masterblaster jnr, Jun 2, 2008.

What is the most popular brass instrument?

Poll closed Aug 1, 2008.
  1. Soprano

4 vote(s)
  2. Cornet

9 vote(s)
  3. Trumpet

20 vote(s)
  4. French Horn

2 vote(s)
  5. Tenor Horn

2 vote(s)
  6. Baritone

1 vote(s)
  7. Flugel

0 vote(s)
  8. Euphonium

1 vote(s)
  9. Trombone (both)

25 vote(s)
  10. Bass

2 vote(s)
  1. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

Just a bit of a random one, but then it is the name of the forum.

It really annoys me when someone talks to you and says, "oh, are you that trumpet player." It's a horn. And even if they get the horn bit right, it's always french horn.

It seems like the trumpet is the only brass instrument any non musician knows. Well the ones i know anyway. Why Trumpet, euphonium is quite popular too.
  2. leisa

leisa Active Member

nah i doubt many people have heard of a euphonium!! Trombone will be quite well known, least well known i would have thought flugel and euph, im always having to explain what a cornet is
  3. TubaPete

TubaPete Member

Hmm, do you mean "most popular" or "best known" - your question asks one but you thread title asks trhe other?

The answer is probably trombone for both as the same instrument that is ised in brass bands is used in orchestras other brass ensembles and orchestras across the globe.

Oh, and if we're talking about contesting brass bands, the trumpet and french horn don't even have a place...

Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  4. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

My work colleagues always refer to my 'Trombone Playing'. Shame for them, considering I've never picked up a trombone in my life.

If I mention that I'm a Bass player they think it's some kind of string instrument!!
  5. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Yeh the title is a bit misleading in this thread... Best known Brass Band instrument would be either cornet or trombone, I would have thought ( or "it's a bl**dy euphonium"
  6. blasterbates

blasterbates Member

"Are you blowing your trumpet this weekend?" I am frequently asked.

.... and I've been a shed builder for 30 years!!

7. John15851

John15851 New Member

When I say I'm in a Brass Band peops ask "What do you play a trumpet?" while doing the slide notions of a Trombone :rolleyes:
  8. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I was going to post exactly this if someone else hadn't already! It really irks me when they do it too. :-?
  9. Iain Fleming

Iain Fleming Member

Obviously the best known instrument in a Brass Band is a Trumpet which goes along with the question; what's the difference between a brass band and silver band. Answers on a postcard please.

What was it someone once said "it's not a trumpet it's a bl*?dy euphonium".

Iain Fleming
  10. Queenie

Queenie Member

thing is trumpets and french horns aren't part of the traditional brass band. if we were going on tradition it would be trombone but then if you say you play a brass instrument to people they always first ask if its a trumpet.
  11. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

I think traditionally 'silver' bands were those who had won silver prizes or trophies at a contest back in the ol' days. A very hazy history but I think that's the main difference between the two. Obviously its not the case now!
  12. davidwalton

davidwalton Member

They have taste then :biggrin::tup
  13. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

I keep getting asked "do you play the Ophecleide then"
  14. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

Already mentioned, "Oh you play a trumpet but then give the trombone slide working actions. It annoys me too. The difference as I knew it between silver and brass, has to be silver plated instruments against plain polished or lacquered brass. I have seen a so called silver band, I.E. silver was in the name as in ***** town silver band. All the instruments were ordinary brass band but silver plated.
  15. Masterblaster jnr

Just a bit off topic i know, but do french horn players stick their hand up the bell end :)eek:) or do they hold it round a part near the bell end. You can't tell from TV?

I've known people call it a fiver horn. Dense t***s.
  16. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

When I say a play a baritone no one has a clue. Baritone horn is no better but if I say a small version of a tuba people usually know what I mean. Overall if you ask people to name a brass instrument it will usually be trumpet or trombone and for those with a bit less knowledge you often get the reply saxophone
  17. davidwalton

davidwalton Member

Right hand is used to change tuning in the bell end, yes. By doing so, you can play the scale of C major on the low F side of the Horn from C below treble clef, to as high as you can go, all with just changing right hand position (not using any keys).
  18. i often find that the most popular/best known brass band instrument is a trumpet, trombone or quite often even a tuba!

19. Masterblaster jnr

You learn something new everyday, cheers.
  20. yooflou

yooflou Member

Whenever I try and explain what instrument I play (Baritone) the comprehension comes when I tell them it is a little Tuba!!!