What is the most interesting, unusual place you have ever played?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by brassyboy, May 19, 2008.

1. brassyboy

brassyboy Member

1) as an individual
    2) as a band

I would lead off with:
    In a hot air balloon

Also what interesting places would you like to play at/in?

2. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

In a bandroom cupboard, Gunthwaite Spa (don't ask!) and probably a buddhist naming ceremony in a barn.

And the Link is.........Thurlstone Band (happy Days!)
  3. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Just recently had the dubious pleasure of accompanying Andrea Bochelli in a concert in Qatar. Concert was outside in the middle of the desert (AKA Doha University) but rehearsal was at the most plush hotel in the city. We were able to rehearse in the ballroom on the 19th floor, but the troms and tuba were on an overhanging section with a glass floor. As a vertigo sufferer, I must have aged 10 years in three hours!

Another beauty was doing an opera run in the hall of the Belgian State Circus. They had only just let the Elephants out the day before, but forgot to clear up a few little 'messages' left behind.
  4. Lyndon Price

Lyndon Price Member

Playing "Misty" trombone solo in the middle of Calgary Baseball stadium in front of a load of canadian baseball fans.....very interesting....or opening a red phone box in luxemburg
  5. Llamedos

Llamedos Member

I played "The Ashgrove" (trom solo) in the Parade Gardens,Bath once and all I can remember is I distinctly heard our Bass trom singing the "alternate"(slightly? rude) words as I was playing!Don 't know how I kept a straight face!
    At present though,I like anything that has a good 2nd cornet part-keeps us on our toes!!
  6. Sopman

Sopman Member

One of my favourites was playing in the Guinness Brewery in Dublin last year. We had a captive audience as they "snaked" to pay to get in, and danced their way past as we played "New York New York"... Of course the free Guinness at the end helped as well!!!!
  7. flugelman

flugelman Member

One of my favourites is Peasholme Park in Scarborough where you have to get a boat to get to the bandstand which is situated in the middle of the boating lake. All very well and good until it is windy and the water gets a bit choppy and comes on to the stand!
  8. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

On a floating stage in the canal at Little Venice.
  9. Scotty

Scotty Member

On the floating stage at Bemus Bay in America with YABB, total wash out last year mind you but getting the band photo done at the back of the stage 4 feet away from the water standing on a wobbly chair was pretty dodgy!!
  10. Sopman

Sopman Member

Oh, forgot playing outside a house at 9am on a sunny July morning to play "Happy Birthday" for a friends 90th birthday. Not too unusual in itself, but it was arranged via email by his family who live in Canada and South Africa. It was a complete surprise for him, we gave a 45 min concert standing on his lawn with the neighbours looking on.
  11. derekdawson

derekdawson Member

apparently I was the first man to get the boat sent out at the interval as I made the mistake of going with Brian Cooling for a couple of pints before the start, I got a telling off from George Thompson for ( being a nuisance) and I couldn't keep up with him when the boat landed
  12. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

On top of York Minster, with other members of the band playing on top of other churches dotted around the city.

York RI and Ebor Brass were also involved. We accompanied / were accompanied the bells of the churches, as part of a piece of music written to mark the Millenium. All very odd.

Everything was co-ordinated by stopwatch.

We were told that "it might get a little loud" when Great Peter (the big bell in the Minster) chimes. That wasn't the half of it!
  13. Sopman

Sopman Member

We played on top of Great Shunnerfell (in Swaledale and about 2500ft high) for our centenary in 1997. All the gear was taken up by tractor and trailer and Landrovers. We played for about 1/2 hour whilst being filmed for our centenary video, my son was 2 at the time and I played most of it with him in a carry-backpack on my back..... I also nose-dived my landrover into a peat bog on the way back down..... off-roading and banding at the same time, that doesn't happen very often!!!
  14. grandad

grandad Member

Mascal Square Ethiopia to over 100,000 people.....
    Well there's not much else to do !!!

It was for my work band as part of the British Embassy 100th year in Addis abbaba.
    however it was definitely strange and smelt like a county showground!!
  15. SAbandman

SAbandman New Member

In an old farm used as a heritage centre, we played in a barn. I arrived late (by arrangement) as the only trombone that day and had to climb into a pen as it was the only area left with enough room. I got plenty of stick for that.
  16. leisa

leisa Active Member

i helped flixton out a couple of years ago there and they had the boats at the interval...

we also had drunk men trying to get onto the stand whilst we were playing
  17. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

I'm sorry I've got a really dirty mind, when I looked at the title on the home page, the question wasn't what I was expecting.
  18. derekdawson

derekdawson Member

Hi Leisa it was the late 60's I think when I sent for the boat, and all the drinking men were trying to get off not on
  19. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

It was the water coming off the stand that was embarrassing !

- Wilkie
  20. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Perhaps they were music lovers wanting to show their appreciation !!

- Wilkie