What is the most important section???

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by chizzum, Mar 14, 2006.

The most important section!!

Poll closed Jul 13, 2006.
  1. Cornets

2. Horns

3. Euph/Bari

4. Trombones

5. Percussion

6. BASSES!!!!

Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. chizzum

chizzum Member

Will it be the cornets for the tune or will people use their brains and relise its actually the bass section????? Who knows?
  2. ISBBBb2

ISBBBb2 Member

First rule of banding
    No section, player or part is more inportant than any other. With no bass as a foundation, or a tenor or alto part then the tune is bland and dull!

(but its the basses right?)
  3. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

No one section is more important than another... it just wouldn't work else... if you only had cornets it'd be boring... and it'd be boring if you only had the bass end! Everybody is special in their own little (in some cases exceedingly little!) way!

But of courses us cornets would win cos there's more of us.... and horns would lose cos they are so girlie! :tongue:

Love you all really

4. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Basses, any day of the week in my books. We are the power house and work horses of the band!
  5. zak

zak Member

Not wanting to sound rude or anything but are you doing some sort of essay or article for college/uni at the moment or are you just on a mission to start as many threads as possible?????? ;)

Just seem to have read lots of recent polls and articles by yourself thats all. :biggrin:

6. Steve

Steve Active Member

Its for the next poll Shaun............

Who has started the most polls on tmp in the last 7 days.
  7. harsh

he's a GCSE student and an enthusiastic tmp newbie. leave the lad be!
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2006
  8. ...and whilst I agree that every section is important, (with respect to every section being crucial for the overall sound of a brass band) I'd personally (going with the light hearted intention of this thread) opt for the percussion. I hate rehearsals where percussion are missing, it's so dull without a beat!!
  9. zak

zak Member

Not harsh at all. So many similar SUBJECTIVE polls at the same time can be a bit on the overload side thats all so please calm down and respect my views as I do yours. ;)

Regards :biggrin:
  10. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Has to be percussion. How else would the rest of you know how fast to play if it wasn't for us? ;)
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2006
  11. I didn't disrespect anything, thanking you kindly!

totally calm little miss marcroft x
  12. zak

zak Member

Sorry but when you told me that my comment was "harsh" and to "leave the lad alone" kinda told me to not air my thoughts on the forum so lets agree to disagree and stop boring others and ourselves on here. I know I'm certainly bored with this discusssion!!! ;)

13. I didn't mean 'harsh' in the respect that you were being harsh on him, I didn't make much sense of myself. I meant bringing to light the fact that he's perhaps been a bit too keen in posting a lot of polls... a bit embarrassing. Andin saying 'leave him be,' I was trying to emphasise he means no harm.

Anyhow, yes, lets leave it be.
  14. Surely us conducters should have a section!

How else does the percussion know how fast to go ;-)

OOOps, logged on as R'Kev again!

Garry Hallas
    MD Emley Brass Band
    proud to be so
  15. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

You don't think we watch you lot, do you? Never take any notice of somebody that can only handle one stick at a time, that's what I say :biggrin:

Besides, how can a conductor be a section? Surely you need more than one person / player to make a section? ;)
  16. you aren't a section though... you direct the sections! Don't feel left out, he's done a "best conductors" thread too!!
  17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I would think for the more recent writing for bands, the combination of horns/baris should be included in the poll! They tend to provide (or not) more colouration in band sound depending on how well they balance with other sections.
  18. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Why are horns even in the poll at all?!?!?!?!
  19. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Personally, I watch the conductor. ;)

As for most important section - IT'S NOT A SECTION - it's a player! Who links sop to baris, or cornets, via horn, to euph, or whatever?

Just follow the flugel (stylistically and melodically) and all will be well......

(Biased? Me? Never..........:p)
  20. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Why are euphs and baritones always lumped together like this? They are not the same instrument, and fill quite different roles in the band!

In well-crafted music, there is no "most important" section.