What is the most ''entertaining programme??

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by chizzum, Mar 11, 2006.

1. chizzum

chizzum Member

What is the most entertaining programme/band that you have seen??? Not from many concerts but one specific performance. It would be nice to hear the different thoughts and opinions. Thank you

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    programme
    programme/band
    thoughts
    performance
    concerts
  3. chizzum

chizzum Member

anybody??????????????

4. dyl

dyl Active Member

Patience! Please don't bump threads like that - just cos you haven't received a reply in the first couple of hours doesn't mean to say that you never will! I'm sure you'll get some replies eventually - but there are quite a few contests going on today remember, meaning a lot of our members are away, whilst the rest may be busy reading up on results and the like!

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I'll start. Elgar Howarth and Grimethorpe,1976, competing in the 'Best Of Brass' televised competition. He defied logic and tradition by playing a programme of short pieces written by himself (apart from 'Jeannie With The Light Brown Hair', which was innovative as it only used lower brass!).

6. chizzum

chizzum Member

Thankyou and i didnt think of all the contests!!! Im not old enough to remember that performance unfortunately as it sounds like a cracker!

7. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Stavanger, after the Open in 2004. Whole 2nd half from memory including choreography, and not easy stuff either. Solo spots included an awesome bit of jazz trumpet from their (I think) sop player and an unaccompanied Eb bass solo which effectively covered a bit of sneaky stage shifting. They finished with the Symphonic Dances from West Side Story, again choregraphed and from memory. Incredible playing, incredible musicianship. I don't stand and applaud for much, but I stood for that. Unforgettable.:clap:

8. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I did an entertainment competition with a band I was conducting at the time and we actually won by an impressive margin of 9 points in front of the 2nd placed band. The programme we put on was;

Cornish Cavalier
    Battle Hymn of the Republic
    Somewhere Over the Rainbow (Eb horm solo) she won the instrumentalist prize too!
    The Can-Can
    ... and the Band Played On

All went down very well actually and the band played a blinder which was enough to win them the Welsh title and gain them promotion to the 2nd section which they went on to win the same contest in the following year!

9. Souter

Souter Member

Five or Six years ago we did a joint concert with Mactaggart Scott Band. Mact's themed the first half on an American theme and we (Selkirk) did the second half on a Celtic theme - the band wore kilts supplied free by a local kilt hire company.
    We did Alloway tails with an orator, Bells of Dunblane with two pipers, other Celtic nation music, and rounded things of with Lord of The Dance - complete with light show, Irish Dancers, Fiddle and background images projected onto the stage. Fantastic concert that the whole town talked about for months and has ensured that since then our concerts always sell out in record time.

10. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

The conductor of our band always puts on a good entertainment contset programe one of the best was when he was with Newhall Band i played with him conducting at Milton Keeynes contest 1987
    Dynasty
    Festive Overture
    Londonderry Air
    Last Movement Symphony Marches
    Band came 2nd Festive Overture was BLACK DYKE STANDARD just awsome playing the remarks from adjudicator were full of praise for the performance throught of our playing if i rember right Trevor Walmsley was in the box for the contest

11. chizzum

chizzum Member

good concerts! what about in the last 5 years?

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    programme
    programme/band
    thoughts
    performance
    concerts
  13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- out of interest, what's your best experience in concert programmes? Have you a favourite list of pieces that you would like a band to perform?

14. chizzum

chizzum Member

well 1812 is a fantastic piece when done with cannons!!! but apart from that any band that goes out of their way to make it entertaining has got my vote! I dont just mean for a normal concert but for entertainment competitions aswell.

15. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

When my band celebrarated it's 90th Birthday in 1992 we did a themed concert of music over the last 90 years. We split it into 4 quaters - 1902-1942, 1942-1962, 1962-1982, 1982-present day. We played music that our founder, Charlie Moore had written, and changed uniform to suit the age we were playing - including teddy boy outfits and mods and rockers for the 50's and 60's. It was blummin' hard work, but the whole concert went fown a storm, and my Mum still talks about it now.

16. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Wychavon 2004
    Conductor Russell Grey

Introduction - Torstien Aagaard Nilsen
    Caravan - Duke Ellington arr Steve Sykes
    Letter from Home - Pat Metheny
    Fnugg Blue - Eb Tuba Solo
    Reel Music - trad arr Frode Rydland

17. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

Polysteel Band at Butlins 2006