What is the most difficult tenor horn solo out there?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Masterblaster jnr, May 24, 2008.

Which would be the best choice for a high brow concert?

Poll closed Sep 17, 2008.
  1. Ellerby Horn Concerto

2. Wilby Horn Concerto

3. Bel Canto

4. Festive Praise

5. Masquerade

6. Violin Concerto

7. Notturno

8. stick with Piper O' Dundee

9. Other (Please post)

Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

I've found, and played, the piper of Dundee, which is very hard, but i fear that if i start playing it at concerts, then the same concert comes up again, i won't have anywhere to move on to . Anyone know any harder horn solos?

2. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

You can always improve on a performance of a piece.
    Ask any of the top players if they have got anywhere to move onto after they have played a solo.
  3. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

If you find one don't tell my MD.....;)
  4. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Getting music out of the simplest piece could be one of the most difficult things

5. Look through the soprano solo's, we all know soprano's have the most difficult parts in the band!
  6. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Sops are better off sticking to the nursery slopes in my opinion :wink:

PS welcome to tmp:biggrin:
  7. huggie

huggie Member

Why do you want to play something harder? The horn is one of the most beautiful sounding instruments when played properly. Please don't go down the route of substituting tone and control for the most notes you can play. Brian Smith could bring an audience to their feet playing the simplest of pieces.
  8. T Winch

T Winch Member

Masquerade by Philip Sparke takes some beating
  9. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

Spot on :clap:
  10. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

the fugitive is another good one, as is the ellerby concerto, doubt you'd be playing it all out though!

If you want something hard, stick with the slow stuff.
    Enough people whizzing round the fly-poo that sound like valve trombones already ;)
  11. Masterblaster jnr

OK, it seems as though the slow option is the one next. (BTW agree with Aidan, ellerby concerto is too long)

Semi subject change, any high horn solos which are nice? My higher register is considerably better than the lower. And i prefer high notes any day. A time For peace is reasonably high but not that impressive.

Has Sparke written anything for horn apart from Masquerade

12. ballyhorn

ballyhorn Member

They are all hard...end of.....
  13. Daniel Sheard

Daniel Sheard Member

You mean raspy and out of tune?
  14. jerseylugs

jerseylugs New Member

I seem to remember seeing Gordon Higginbottom playing a version of the Mendelsson violin concerto. That might be a bit of a test if played at the right speed.
  15. Masterblaster jnr

Yeah, i've heard that one played before. Don't really like it because it just sounded like a succession of semiquavers with no real structure to it.

Born Free. Pom Poooom, Pa Pa Paaaaaa, Paaa, Paaaa, Speeeeyah!!!!!!!!! :)
    Last edited: May 28, 2008
  17. Masterblaster jnr

erm..................no! :p

**a very accurate term for most of the times i have played that. although it could be: Pom Poooom, Pa Pa Paaaaaa, Paaa, Paaaa, spepom (as he octaves it down (<<Chicken>>))
  18. ballyhorn

ballyhorn Member

Ha do you realise that you have just called one of Felix Mendelssohn's works a succession of semis with no real structure????????????????????.........and YOU are????

Seriously, I'm sure our ex-solo horn player at Sellers, Leah Williams, used to muck around warming up with some horn concerto that sounded ridiculously hard. Some Mozart or Strauss thing. Lots of bluster, but sounded quite impressive!
  20. ballyhorn

ballyhorn Member

its only a top C .......isnt it?