What is the most boring piece you have played?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by vulcan, May 18, 2008.

1. vulcan

vulcan New Member

For me it has to be Ravel`s "Bolero".I know it has to depend on which part you are playing but in general yes this is my choice.How about you?
  2. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

3. No contest

Very easy choice this one....

Four Cities Symphony

Total dirge from beginning to end !
  4. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

The Bass Boys

Hateful version of one of my favourite ever songs. The flugel part is like an Arban exercise for triple tonguing. No, in fact at least JBA used different notes. 64 bars of triplet E's is not my idea of fun. I bet Brian Wilson would be really glad he spent 6 months putting together this piece of music if he heard this half-***** arrangement. :redface:
  5. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Mood Indigo, closely followed by Young Amadeus and Essential Joseph.
  6. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Viennese Memorys of Lehar (?)
  7. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Best of the seekers
  8. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

9. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Bolero can be either 18 minutes of boredom or 18 minutes of abject terror, depending on which part you are playing (original version, that is).

There are so many band pieces from my youth that were duller than a very dull thing. Edelweiss stands out as being special in that the band arrangement manages to make a normally nice tune into the most boring band arrangement ever. Anything that has Frank Bearnharts name at the top must come into the equation somewhere.

Orchestrally, you'll have to go a long way to beat Mendelssohn's Elijah. Pages and pages of dross. My tip, though, to get through it is to get a drunk as possible and fall asleep in the movements you're not playing. However, stick to shorts, as there's nothing worse than needing a pee with six pages to go!

By the way, I've been away from tMP for a while as I was getting fed up with some of the little nasty people spoiling it. They seem to have crawled back into their caves for now, so I'm back amongst the lovely fluffy people :D
  10. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

Four Cities Symphony
    Indian Summer
    Four Little Maids

Music to slit your wrists by!
  11. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

Three Figures. A truely awful piece that I had the misfortune to have to play at a contest once - I forget which one though, must have erased it from my memory!
  12. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

The Young Amadeus - total snooze fest
  13. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Which gets quote hairy when you're dying to go and the choir starts singing "The waters gather, they rush along!" followed by descending semiquaver passages in the violins. It can be all too much for the overused bladder!
  14. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Are people making a distinction between "boring", "things I can play on autopilot" or "I really hated the way the conductor interprets that one"?

No matter how I try not to, I get bored with parts written in a "Mexican" or "Caribbean" style, as very little thought seems to go into the arranging.

I try very hard to read the music and not play on autopilot when playing park jobs with the usual populist playlists - and not just play from memory and make silly mistakes. (No Matter What springs to mind.)

Lastly, the way conductor interpretes a piece can make a hell of a difference. When Paul Mac got out Lil' Darling, one of the bass players said (just audibly) "I said I was going to leave if we ever got this out again!" but by the end of the rehearsal, was saying "I didn't know there was so much in this piece. Quite like it really."

I guess there are plenty of pieces that you might not play by choice, but as a musician, if you have to play it, you should always try to give the best performance possible.
  15. flugelman

flugelman Member

Swiss Excursion

Shepherds SOng
    Best of YMCA!
  16. T Winch

T Winch Member

Everything I Do I Do It For You (and generally any pop song arranged for brass band. There ought to be a law against it :mad: )
  17. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Frank bryce's Promenande!! One of the most boring pieces oput, as far as i am concerned!!!
  18. BrianT

BrianT Member

Scary Bolero

I've done parachuting (tethered line) and I've played the high trumpet part in Bolero, and playing Bolero was a much, much bigger thrill.
    Couldn't imagine being bored by playing Bolero...
  19. SuperCat

SuperCat Member

Jodrell Bank is boring to play and to listen to.
  20. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

The Bass part of "You'll Never Walk Alone" - crushingly, interminably, soul destroyingly monotonously boring, boring, boring !!!
    (I don't care for it much)
    - Wilkie