What is the ideal bandroom in terms of acoustic??

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by _si, Oct 15, 2010.

1. _si

_si Member

What are the optimum acoustics for a rehearsal bandroom?
    A small dead space, a big boomy hall?
  2. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Take a look at the 4br video tour of Black Dykes Band Room. Seems to be pretty much ideal.
  3. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Worst rehearsal room I ever played in regularly was a drama hall, with a stage-whisper acoustic. Brilliant for building confidence, because it was easy to sound good in there. Problem was, whenever we got out of it and onto stage, we ended up looking around and thinking "god, we sound HORRIBLE!!" In truth, we sounded the same as we always had, but the rehearsal acoustic had covered it up.

Best bandroom acoustic? As dead as Mutton. If you can sound good in a hall like that, you can sound good anywhere.
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  4. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

A comfortably sized room (so you're not sat on top of each other) with an acoustic as dead as possible. Desford's bandroom is ideal - the sound disappears about an inch off the end of your bell!
  5. BoBo

BoBo Member

When will someone invent a bandroom (for a reasonable cost!) which allows the accoustic to be changed at the touch of a button? Something like the soundcard software on a PC allows, so for example you could have dead, boomy, outside, church, Royal Albert Hall etc. Ultimately you should be able to simulate any space.

An optional extra Si, would be to simulate the damp smell of the Rode Hall bandroom...........you know what I mean!
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  6. yoda

yoda Member

What he said ^^^

Best bandroom I have ever conducted in. you can hear every note from every player, every time.

7. JRH

JRH Member

As soon as some brilliant engineer figures out how to defy the laws of physics. ;)
  8. BoBo

BoBo Member

Its only bass trombone players who can defy the laws of physics, engineers harness the laws of physics.
  9. Splitzer

Splitzer Member

Really? I have always preferred conducting in a more natural acoustic like the Carnegie hall in New York, although the podium does have a loose handrail.
  10. Kjata

Kjata Member

A rehearsal room should surely be as dead as humanly possible?
    Then at least when you end up playing in a big hall you sound awesome?!
  11. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I go for dead as possible...however; it is nice to practice in a big boomy room every once and a while, because if you can play soft there, you can play soft anywhere.
  12. Simon_Horn

Simon_Horn Member

hahaha :)

As a player, it's really good to play in a generous accoustic like a church but as a conductor it's awful when you can't hear the detail. I think playing in a generous accoustic all the time is kinda like learning to play piano on an non touch senstive electric keyboard - your fingers get lazy because you don't need to put in the effort for the note to sound. Therefore, I think a rehearsal hall should be nice and tight with carpets and curtains, allowing the MD to hear everyone but not so dead that it's difficult for the players to produce a nice warm sound.
  13. GordonH

GordonH Member

Whichever acoustic puts the players off playing too loudly and lets them hear all the other parts easily. Thats probably a recording studio type dry acoustic. Its easier to move from that to a very wet acoustic than the other way around.