What is the Hardest Test Piece you've Ever Played

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by 08cbinns, Apr 20, 2008.

1. 08cbinns

08cbinns Member

The hardest testpiece i've ever played is probably Blitz!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Ever Played Jazz
    St Magnus
    Harmony Music
    Tallis
    Played Jazz
  3. davecornet

davecornet New Member

Havnt played any test pieces yet, but I find page 26 in my Arban cornet method really difficult.

Dave

4. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

a choice of 'Music of the Spheres', 'Year Of The Dragon' or 'Elgar Variations' for me. although i did find 'Energy' and Masters of Space & Time challenging to keep up in.

5. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

St. Magnus...I can barely count...let alone odd meter.

6. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Assuming we're not talking 'absolutes' here, then the 'hardest' testpiece I ever played (in contest) was "Diversions on a Bass" (George Lloyd), on soprano, under the influence of the hangover from hell. No names, no pack drill, although there may be some members of tMP who recall the event. Not something I'm especially proud of (although I did, kind-of, "get away with it"), and I don't think I'll ever be able to play the piece again without suffering flashbacks. Live 'n' learn, and all that ...

7. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Second movement of Moorside Suite.
    Second Movement of Year of the Dragon.
    Assuming that the cut down version of Enigma Variations used as a test piece includes Nimrod, Nimrod...

8. The hardest I have played has to be Contest Music, very challenging musically....

9. PowerRanger

PowerRanger Member

No such thing as a hard testpiece, just inappropriate practice :biggrin:

Style wise.... for me, hardest one is 'A Downland Suite' (John Ireland) Not heard many bands play all 4 movements in the various styles required!

10. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

I think mine was that cornet scherzo bit in the wayfarer in the 1st section areas last year. That tonguing bit that is so fast and goes so low as well. Nightmare. I spent hours on those bars and it wasn`t 100% reliable but luckily was ok on the day.

11. agentorange

agentorange Member

The cornet/euph unison duet in 'Music for Battle Creek'. So difficult to get together rhythmically, dynamically, intonationally and tempo-ly(!). Superb music though.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Ever Played Jazz
    St Magnus
    Harmony Music
    Tallis
    Played Jazz
  13. Probably 'Contest Music' Front row cornet part is so exposed and awkward!
    Other hard ones are 'Eden' but then I have St Magnus coming up this year so that may well overtake both of these!

14. andyp

andyp Active Member

Ditto.

15. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

The back row part of the fugue in The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea - all bottom Gs and F#s, ff and quick :mad:

16. les

les Member

As a trombonist, solo trom part of Mascarade will take some beating - Especially with a cross wind blowing music off the stand in the middle of the performance!

Les

MD Eccles Borough Band

17. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Victorian Snapshots On A Ratcliffe Highway-Solo Baritone Part
    at national 1st section final last year;
    A great piece looked easy but when you started to see so many pit falls in it proved a very good piece to listen to,practise and play.

18. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Indeed a difficult piece!

The hardest for me would have to be either Tristan Encounters or Year of the Dragon. Both extremely hard pieces. Recently enjoyed Festival Music also - another difficult piece

19. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

There's that test=piece, what was it called... Apocolypse, by that American composer. William....... I believe the Finals for the 2nd Section at Birmingham Symphony Hall. 1996/7. Anybody? Otherwise, yes Contest Music, really challenging to play.

20. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

The hardest I've played are probably Jazz (Wilby) and Blitz, though I cant remember Year of the Dragon or Between the Moon and Mexico being a walk in the park either! Put into context, the toughest one would have been playing Tam O'Shanter's Ride in the 3rd section a few years back, an incredibly difficult set choice for the level!

21. Ali

Ali Member

St. Magnus was a bit of a pig! Still have it on my practice stand to this day. Other hard uns would have to include Jazz, final movement of Year of the Dragon and the fugue of Variations on an enigma!

22. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

William Gordon.