What is the hardest piece you have ever played?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by basstromboneboy, Mar 30, 2008.

1. What is the hardest piece you have ever played?

Can't think of one myself (fair amount to choose from).
    So someone else can start us off...;)

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    hardest piece
    Ca
  3. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

There're a few that spring to mind - back row cornet parts - Harrison's Dream (fun at the beginning) - Masquerade - (unison cornet section) - most recently, Cornet 8 part in Vienna Nights - (fast section at the end ff lip slurring) - can't beat a real challenge and the buzz of nailing the hardest bits.

Sud.

4. Probably contest music. The front row cornet part is abit of a nightmare!

5. andyp

andyp Active Member

Yup, Contest Music on front row, definitely. Just cos the page ain't black doesn't mean it's easy!

6. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

My first years at summer school I remember Excerpts from firebird and indiana jones and the temple of doom both on front row.

7. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

So far, on BBb Bass, it's 'Odin'.

8. Blagger

Blagger Member

Gotta be "On Alderley Edge"
    Great solo tho :p

9. Flugel Boy

Flugel Boy New Member

Anything thats requires extra effort :biggrin:

10. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

In the two years I played solo trom at GUS, Masquerade was the only piece I ever had to take home to practice!

11. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

That's not what you told me lol. What about the Fugue from Graduation day?

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    hardest piece
    Ca
  13. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Good point, well made! I'd forgotten about that one, although it only went home from one rehearsal to the next one, whereas Masquerade stayed in my trombone case for a good few weeks. Mainly due to the little solo bit in the 6/8 section - I find it very difficult to change to pedal notes so quickly as I use about 5 different embouchures!

14. omega56

omega56 Member

Sat on front row a couple of years ago as a one off ( I was on rep at the time ) we were playing at a private birthday party and the " Birthday Boy " wanted us to play the Dambusters theme, I was to say the least totally lost with the counter melodies going on ,although probably not the hardest piece to play it was on this particular occasion especially when you are "dropped in it" !

15. flugtastic

flugtastic Member

not the hardest piece to play but the most confusing! the 12 days of chrismas in the red carol books :p

16. David Mann

David Mann Member

For me probably the last movement of The Year of The Dragon on bari - I really had to learn to play in sharps! Also a few bars of The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea.

17. ballyhorn

ballyhorn Member

Horn parts in Theme and cooperation are a nightmare...

18. robcav

robcav Member

As a euph player, I'd agree. It's a close call though between Dragon and Harmony Music.

19. davidsait

davidsait Member

Leonardo by Philip Wilby

20. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

Depends what you determine as difficult....If you take ravel's Bolero as 1st trombone you sit for 140 plus bars doing nothing and then have to come in on a Bflat (C for brass band above the stave) at MF and play the solo.......

Or as 2nd Trombone the solo from the Tuba Mirum in Mozart's requiem.....

And there is always Tommy dorsey's famous theme tune in a room full of trombone players.

21. BrianT

BrianT Member

Around 25 years ago I bought the music for Flight of the Bumble Bee arranged for trumpet and piano. Second page of this has a chromatic scale from F# three ledger lines down, going up in semiquavers, finally breaking out into the tune on a top C (two ledger lines up) and moving up into super-F/G territory! I play it better now than I used to - but it's still not performable - I can't play it reliably. And there's this really annoying text note on the part saying "any cornet player with a good lip should be able to play this with ease."

22. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

To finish my post.....

As I asked what do you wish to establish as the citeria for difficult.....

technically/ or as with the bolero the solo itself is not hard but it becomes a challenge because of the conditions you have to play it under.

some parts are dificult because of fast mute changes etc

Most Earth wind and fire charts are a challenge for the brass section....

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008