What is the easiest way to Groningen?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by DublinBass, Mar 22, 2005.

1. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

The missus and I are thinking of going to the European Brass Band Championships next month.

However, Ryanair and Easyjet don't seem to fly from London to Groningen. Expedia.co.uk says there are no flights leaving on the Thursday, Returning on the Sunday.

I can't seem a goof rail website to check train time tables.

Anybody have any ideas?
  2. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I don't know about any regional airports in Holland, but I'm sure you can fly to Amsterdam Schiphol Airport and then take the train (there is a train station in the airport itself). The website of the Dutch railway company is http://www.ns.nl/ it seems there is a direct connection from Schiphol to Groningen, which takes about 2,5 hours or a connection with one change over in Amersfoort

Taking a train al the way from England to Groningen would be a big hassle I think. I guess you would have to take the Eurostar from London to Brussels, then the Thalyss (another high speed train) from Brussels to either Amsterdam or Rotterdam and then the Dutch train to Groningen.

This is the "international travel planner" on the website of the dutch railways: http://plannerint.b-rail.be/bin/query.exe/en?L=nsn
  3. Scotty

Scotty Member

Yeah exactly as jan said! My band are getting a flight to amsterdam (from edinburgh) then the train from schipol to groningen which takes about two and a half hours.
  4. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

Schipol and then train is the best way.

You can catch a direct train from the airport. Just be careful that it IS direct - sometimes you have to change at Zwolle or Ammersfort. When you buy your train ticket, you can ask them to print out a specific timetable for your journey.

It will say on your carriage where it is going. Dead easy.
  5. jo

jo Member

ask tony christie...he already knows the way to amarillo so might be the man with the map!
  6. Owen S

Owen S Member

I flew from Heathrow to Rotterdam with KLM about a year ago, to visit a friend in The Hague (Den Haag), and I can confirm the Dutch trains are excellent.

A quick google shows me Groningen does have its own airport, but the only direct scheduled flight is from Aberdeen. This will be mainly for offshore oil workers connecting onto helicopters to head out into the southern North Sea.
  7. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

excellent. That might work out well for the purposes of visiting then!
  8. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

What's the easiest way to get to the EBBC ?

Practice , mate. Practice.

The old ones are the best.I'm getting me coat.
  9. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

As soon as I read the title of my thread again (seeing it posted there on tMP), I knew that one was coming :hammer
  10. bennem

bennem Member

I have flown to Schipol and then hired a car. The drive to Groningen isn't that long and I seem to remember it is pretty straight forward direction wise (don't hold me to that though it was about 10 years ago when I last went there)
  11. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I still think the train or the car would be much easier :eek::eek::eek: