What is the easiest brass band test piece?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ratpit, Feb 23, 2009.

1. ratpit

ratpit Member

This is only for fun!

If a non-registered band is taking it's first steps up the brass band ladder what's the best piece to play?

I can remember a Little Suite by Malcolm Arnold

How about Shipbuilders?

4 Little Maids

Can anyone help?
  2. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

London River!
  3. tubbytuba

tubbytuba Member

How about A Rural Suite by Eric Ball, this was the first contest piece played by our youth band (in its recent history)
  4. jennyt125

jennyt125 Member

I'd say shipbuilders is probably a little too hard as I recall it was about third section.
    English Folk Song Suite by R Vaughan Williams is nice if you like 'traditional', even Four Little Maids as you mention, popular with the audience as it at least has a tune they can tap their feet along to!
  5. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Shipbuilders is the one for if the conductor doesn't the want the band to start contesting. Five minutes of that and people will be put off ever starting contesting.
  6. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

indian summer? always a classic.
  7. HBB

HBB Active Member

My first ever contest piece!!
  8. ashwortdn

ashwortdn Member

Facets of glass is a very good piece, 4th section at pontins 3 years ago and gives every instrument a bit to get there teeth into.
  9. Owen

Owen Member

Kaleidoscope by Stuart Johnson (sp?) was my first ever test piece in the C section of the East Anglian Brass Band Association spring contest. I seem to recall liking it!
  10. Tam O Shanter

Tam O Shanter Member

Eric Ball's "Petite Suite de Ballet" is also good as is his "Rhapsody on Negro Spirituals No. 2".

Edward Gregson's "Patterns" and "Voices of Youth" are also worth looking at as is Philip Sparke's "The Prizewinners" although the latter has a section with some awkward rhythms as you would expect.
  11. HornMaster

HornMaster Member

Mine too. I'd say this would be a good one for a band to start off with, along with London River as someone mentioned earlier

Easiest that I have ever seen anyway!
  13. satchmo101

satchmo101 Member

Do you really not like the shipbuilders ?. Classic piece in my opinion, got an old dyke recording of this and it sounds great. I'm gusessing it must have been top section way back when ?.
  14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Hardly a top section test piece ... it was originally commissioned for the 1960 Light Festival Of Music by the BBC.
  15. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

Four Cities....has to be
  16. animal.22

animal.22 Member

Nah stuff all that!! Give em "Pentacle" and blow their brains out!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
  17. MrBb

MrBb Member

^^^ what he said ^^^ :D
  18. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

Now i'm out of science i can think about it.

At the moment in my non-contesting band, we've got Dark Side of the Moon out, i'll hold my hands up and say we can't play it YET, but it' certainly a good piece for non-contesting bands to improve on and also it's nice to listen to if it was ever played out at a concert
  19. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

No test piece is easy to play right!!!!!
    But i will put forward
    Divertimento by Eric Ball
  20. Simon_Horn

Simon_Horn Member

English Folk Songs is far from easy!