What is the best tuba around to buy?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by chizzum, Mar 15, 2006.

1. chizzum

chizzum Member

Im thinking about buying an Eb Bass but don't know which is best as i have heard a few of the new ones aren't anywherenear as good as the older models.
    Any help on this would be extremely grateful
    Thanks

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    tuba
    few
    help
    models.
    ones
  3. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

I suggest you visit a reputable instrument retailer, ask them to bring out their entire stock of tubas and evaluate them for yourself. What represents the 'best' for one person may not necessarily be the 'best' for you. Reading John Fletcher's old articles on the merits of different tubas will give you some valuable insights too.

4. chizzum

chizzum Member

thank you!

5. MickM

MickM Member

Hi Matt,

What are you playing on at the moment? I play on a 25 year old Besson 981 "concert model" that's been reconditioned and re-plated (BSP). We have newer 982's at band but i prefer my old banger!.
    If i was in your position though, i would try as many different makes and models as possible. James is quite right, not everybody is suited to the same instrument.
    I wouldn't mind having a blow on a Hursbrunner 688 though. If anyone has any feedback on this it would be very helpfull.
    http://www.netupandgo.com/mrtuba/

p.s. I've just been watching a DVD of RBYB at the Youth Band Contest, Blackpool.
    Fantastic! :clap: which one are you?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2006
  6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Mick, are you meaning the EEb HBS 688?? I never noticed this 3+1 model before ... quite new? 19 1/2" bell on it as well. Looks a similar spec. to the Yammy YEB632 but with a silver bell?

http://www.tubanews.com/instrument145.html

7. MickM

MickM Member

Yes, that's the one. Do you know anything about it, or know anyone that's blown one?

8. chizzum

chizzum Member

i will definately try as many out as possible now for definate. And on the 'blackpool' topic im the 2nd dame to appear! So when looking at the band im centre right!
    Thanks for the comments

9. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Courtois have a pro model Eb, go and see Johnny or Glyn at Fred Rhodes.
    Miraphone do an Eb instrument - I am sure I have read reviews that some of the UK service bands use them ( RAF , Marines). try Rosehill music for information ,
    at the moment I am playing a Laq Sov 982 Eb which was made for Gav Saynor in 2001 , it had a custom lowered leadpipe ( like a 981 sov) and is a really freeblowing well made tuba.

10. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Definately give Mark Carter at www.mrtuba.com a call.

If I was lucky enough to be buying a new one, I'd be trying his own development, a Willson, a Hirsbrunner and the Miraphones as well as the standars. All do 3+1 Tuba.