What is the average age of your band?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by brassyboy, Apr 6, 2007.

1. brassyboy

brassyboy Member

Out of interest and with the talk about making bands modern I am left wondering:

what the average age of those playing in, organising, and running brass band Associations?

It seems there are lots of youngsters in our youth bands but is this missleading as many seem to play in more than on and many bands don't have a youth band. I am not saying it is wrong or a negative thing to have a mature base, I am just interested in seeing what the real figures are.

If bands still have a large youth contingency and there are lots of young players and young organisers then Brass Banding has a future. If not and there are not many young people involved then maybe we should do something rather than leave it till it is too late. Maybe developing a cool youth band is the answer and then when the time is right they will cross over to the main bands. I saw the Weapons of Brass Destruction the other night, not my thing but loads of young kids there and who knows they may move across in years to come.

QAnyway what is the average age of you band?
    How many members are over 55?
    How many under 30?
    Do you think this is the ideal mix of ages for your band?

Maybe there is a need for a 13 - 30 National Brass Band Asociation or something like that managed by under 30s

What new ideas have you tried to attract younger people to the band.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    something
    interest
    brass band
  3. andyp

andyp Active Member

Anyway what is the average age of your band? Probably about 35ish
    How many members are over 55? 5 (I think!)
    How many under 30? 9 or 10
    Do you think this is the ideal mix of ages for your band? Pretty much, good mixture of youth and experience.

What new ideas have you tried to attract younger people to the band.

We have a training band as well, but not just for younger people (though they are the majority)

You have to have some mechanism for attracting new players to your band, or it won't last.

4. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Anyway what is the average age of you band? - 35 ish???
    How many members are over 55? - 1 (65 + actually)
    How many under 30? - 7/8
    Do you think this is the ideal mix of ages for your band? Yep, we're all around the same sort of age and have similar opinions of where were going with our music and freindship.

Maybe an interesting show would be the catogary your MD falls into - or an age if you're feeling brave? does this influence the people that join your band?

5. Markbone

Markbone Member

Anyway what is the average age of you band? - 16
    How many members are over 55? - 0
    How many under 30? - everone apart from about 6 or 7

Do you think this is the ideal mix of ages for your band? Yeah, the way things work in Campbeltown, with the majority of players leaving the area at 18 for further education, the focus is constantly on youth. It allows the players to grow together and develop, whilst enjoying the experience. There is a junior band too, for the "younger" younger players.

6. andyfake

andyfake Member

Our bass section (if all 5 are there) have a combined age of about 300!

7. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

what is the average age of you band? About 23/24, I'd guess
    How many members are over 55? None - 2 over 40, one other over 30
    How many under 30? All except the 3 above...
    Do you think this is the ideal mix of ages for your band? Seems to work OK... ;)

8. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

Anyway what is the average age of you band? - 35-40?
    How many members are over 55? - about 6?
    How many under 30? - about 10
    Do you think this is the ideal mix of ages for your band? - Seems to be working ok :tongue:

9. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Anyway what is the average age of you band? I'd guess mid-thirties
    How many members are over 55? I think 3, but a couple are close to 55 I think!
    How many under 30? 9
    Do you think this is the ideal mix of ages for your band? Its not bad - certainly better than it has been in the past, but personally I'd like to see more youngsters in the band - something which we're addressing now.

This could be an interesting thread, I'm looking forward to seeing other replies. I've always thought of Wigston as being a bit on the older side, but from the replies here it would seem we're about average.

10. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

what is the average age of you band? I would say about 26/27
    How many members are over 55 - 1?
    How many under 30? About half
    Do you think this is the ideal mix of ages for your band? Fabulous. Our older members are not much older too...! We don't have any really young kids, but plenty of late teens and students. :-D

11. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

(For Hadleigh Temple)
    How many members are over 55? - 21
    How many btween 30 and 55? - 13
    How many under 30? - 6
    Do you think this is the ideal mix of ages for your band? We could certainly do with some more younger players, as a number of those in the over-55 range are considerably older, including two of our principal players. We've also lost a few younger ones in recent years, and although we have an active Young People's Band, there aren't many who are looking to come up into the senior band at present.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    something
    interest
    brass band
  13. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

How many members are over 55? - 0
    How many btween 30 and 55? - 21
    How many under 30? - 9
    Do you think this is the ideal mix of ages for your band: Looks pretty good to me ( especially from where I sit :biggrin: )

14. Anyway what is the average age of your band? Probably about 19/20
    How many members are over 55? erm none!
    How many under 30? about 16/17
    Do you think this is the ideal mix of ages for your band? dont know because the older people in the band we have got are experianced but if you look at the people in high positions then we have some talented younger musicians aswell because our front row especially have an average age of about 16.

15. stephenmrry

stephenmrry Member

QAnyway what is the average age of you band? prob 21
    How many members are over 55? 1
    How many under 30? 20
    Do you think this is the ideal mix of ages for your band? yes and no could do with some more old heads maybe

We Have a youth band which i conduct and the average age there would be around 12 oldest been 19 youngest been 9 but most of them age between 11 and 12 really

16. tillie

tillie New Member

Anyway what is the average of your band? Not sure, I was told that I doubled it whan I joined.
    How many members are over 50? --1 and 1fast approaching!
    How many under 30? -- about half and the rest are in thier thirties.
    Do you think this is the ideal mix for your band? Yes, we are very young 50 year olds anyway. What does age matter when you are all interested in the same thing!

Elaine, flugel/cornet ELB.

17. hvb_shizzle

hvb_shizzle Member

QAnyway what is the average age of you band? -24.1 we think!
    How many members are over 55? -0
    How many under 30?-18
    Do you think this is the ideal mix of ages for your band? the best mix is experience to give leadership and help in new situations and youth to help them to the toilet. ( only a joke i have total respect for my elders)

18. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

QAnyway what is the average age of you band? around 30 I would say
    How many members are over 55? 1-2 i think
    How many under 30? about 14 i think
    Do you think this is the ideal mix of ages for your band? I think so. We have a number between 17-21 and quite a few in the 25-40 range with a few older than that. Make's it pretty good socially.

19. Nikki T

Nikki T Member

For Royal Spa Brass we are :

Under 30's - 8
    30's - 55 - 10
    Over 55's - 6

A good range of all ages but could always use more of any age.

20. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Brackley

Under 30's - 7
    30's - 55 - 16 (ish)
    Over 55's - 1 (please confirm daveredhead ?)

21. Alan MacRae

Alan MacRae Member

What is the average age of you band? 35-ish
    How many members are over 55? 3
    How many under 30? 10 (and 8 of them are under 20)
    Do you think this is the ideal mix of ages for your band? Who's to say what's ideal? But it is certainly a good working mix of experience and enthusiasm

22. catherine_S

catherine_S Member

Over 55 - 5
    30-55 - 11
    Under 30 - 21

It's OK but we could probably do with a few more adults - most of the under 30's are actually under 20's! The enthusiasm is great but when they go off to uni it does leave horrible gaps in the band!