What Is High Tea

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by bigmamabadger, Nov 21, 2004.

1. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

1.) What actually constitutes High Tea?
    2.) Does it have to have a "hot" component, such as Welsh Rarebit or beans on toast?
    3.) Is it just a grander version of "normal" tea but with more cakes, and posh sandwiches such as tuna mayo rather than bloater paste?
    4.) Is it just a Northern thing? If so what do they have in the South?
    5.) Does it have to involve tea (the drink)?

Confused of Weaverham
    BMB
    xx

2. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

3. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

so that's the same as afternoon tea? Only one of the seven daily meals I'll be having when I rule the world...

4. six pints

six pints Active Member

we often have high tea on the croquet lawn at college...

(ok im lying. we do have a croquet lawn, but we tend just to drink beer on it)

5. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

I have played croquet on that lawn and you are desicrating it with your consumation of beer, which is a vulgar and common drink - I demand you drink pimms immediately, whilst wearing a pashmina!

:-D

6. six pints

six pints Active Member

dont get me wrong, im partial to a bit of pimms!! but ive never worn a pashmina...

7. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

I thought a pashmina was a really mild curry... :D
    and what sort of evil drink is Pimms...ughhhhhhhhhh

8. six pints

six pints Active Member

nah its alright with lemonade. i tend to stick to brown ale tho... my pimms addiction is a big secret, it hides in my mini fridge

9. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Pimms is not ok...its a weird drink , I remember the only way to drink it is with loads of fruit and lemonade.."thats not a drink it's a shrubbery or fruit cocktail"....what does it taste of , ear wax ( apparently ) ugh

10. I thought High Tea was when you had a cuppa on a plane??

I could be wrong though.............

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    version
    sandwiches
    tea
    thing
    Weaverham BMB
  12. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Meanwhile, back on topic, you bletherers, damme I forgot the trifle.
    (Nobbut what Pimms is a lovely drink, best served beside the river watching the boat crews in very tight lycra shorts and big shoulders.... I object to having cucumber in my drinks though.)
    BMB
    xx

13. rightnowmusic

rightnowmusic Member

Quite funny to see this considering I thought "High Tea" was such an English thing to do, and yet we find the explanation on a Canadian website :)

Made me laugh slightly anyway :D

14. Sam Atherton

Sam Atherton Member

From my uni experience, high tea was a combination of strange and usually sweaty or bouncy leftovers served at about 5 on saturdays and sundays. Only ever eaten when you'd drunk your way through your overdraft and loan.

I'm not sure this is a traditional interpretation though!