What is going on on Ebay!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by wagger-g, Sep 29, 2010.

1. wagger-g

wagger-g Member

I've just been idling through Ebay pages and I am getting dozens of ads for Besson Prestige BE2056 baritones at just $2,000!!! Seems you have to abide by some rules of sale but this is an incredible price.

Working on the adage that if something looks too good to be true it usually is, what is going on here?
  2. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Would guess that it's scammers at work... What are the feedback ratings of the sellers?
  3. David Mann

David Mann Member

Rating OK, selling history doesn't include 1000s of new musical instruments and cameras as currently listed. Very strange. If I had a bargepole, I wouldn't be needing it.
  4. David Mann

David Mann Member

Found out some of the selling conditions - need to send your eBay username to them with your address, they will tell you how to pay (but not paypal), they will send goods after payment. Hmm.
  5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Doesn't sound at all right. But why baritones for sale? Odd choice!
  6. chrisjohnston

chrisjohnston Member

Yep I have seen new Besson Euphoniums for £1500 also.

Looked into it, the company does not exist where it states keep away is my advice

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Maybe the user details have been hi-jacked? Big jump from selling Transformer figures to high spec musical instruments.
  8. Euphanasia

Euphanasia Member

There's a lot of hijacking about - I discovered by chance that I was apparently selling iPhones on Ebay a while back....Definitely avoid!

9. wagger-g

wagger-g Member

They've gone!!!!!

Just when I thought I could get my hands on a baritone at an unbelievable price it was just that - unbelievable! Gone are all those pages of offers of cheap baritones and with them my dreams. All very strange! So what was going on?
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Basic rules to remember when buying anything is to make sure that the payment can be easily traced if fraud or mis-selling occurs. The other is to check any fine print in the terms and conditions of the sale. If you have to hand over your card details, there might not be any claim for chargeback through your bank. This seller is not transparent in his/her methods.
  11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Are the instruments still listed?? I couldn't find them (or the Willson & Prestige euphs) this morning!
  12. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

High spec? They're Baritones remember :biggrin:
  13. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

And they used the word ''musical''. :cool:
  14. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

I have so far bought 364 of the 726 listed. Pretty sure that one of them will be a real steal ;-)
  15. sbandsman

sbandsman Member

How are you going to play ALL of those at once Ollie? have you got a multi splitter for your mouthpiece?:biggrin::tongue:
  16. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

isn't that what most baritone players use?