What is a 'Virtuoso'?

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Masterblaster jnr, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

I feel inclined to say it was really nice to not have to have a mexican wave etc this year and we acually had some entertainment between bands and results.

Personally have to say it really made my day listening to the british army band. For a band of such talent they produced an excellent show whilst obviously not getting too focussed on the music.

Again, i saw owen farr this afternoon who really was impressive and it goes without saying that David Childs will/would/will have been fantastic tonight.

However, (no offence intended, well not much) the 'Cornet Virtuoso', who i'd never heard of before seemed to completely defeat the objective in my opinion.

1) the Music the Band and Owen played were enjoyable and listenable
    2) They were recognisable names, especially necessary for the period between the 4th section
    and 3) Playing the piece without making a mess.

Now don't get me wrong, when it was right it was some sublime playing but splitting middle register notes in solitaire just doesn't seem to fit the word 'Virtuoso'. Could someone please define to me what a Cornet/Horn/Euph/trom Virtuoso entails please.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Virtuoso
    Band
    farr
    Euph
    David Childs
  3. Haha, well that cornet 'virtuoso' should not have been described as that for sure. I wouldn't have minded the odd mistake in an entertainment break, but to be described as that, hmm...

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Who played?

5. Blagger

Blagger Member

The York artist Angelo Bearpark .
    Yes he did have a bad day at the office - but was a quality player in his time.

6. Masterblaster jnr

well you can see he was, there was some class moments, but i've never heard such a loud gasp when someone splits a note than the one in solitaire. Ouch!

P.S What did David Childs play? our coach left harrogate at 5 so i couldn't hear him

7. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

A euphonium.

Probably ;)

8. Blagger

Blagger Member

:clap:

9. Masterblaster jnr

oh, that's a shame. I thought he was playing the harmonica. ;)

So what pieces of music did this 'Euphonium' artist perform? :p

P.S Were you at the KMJ Recordings stand keith?

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Aye, he played with Dyke & Versatile Brass. I believe he's now in Switzerland playing with 13 Etoiles.

11. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Whilst I do agree that words such as "virtuoso" do tend to be used a little too glibly, any player is capable of having a bad day, and it should not detract necessarily from their right to bear the term.

I don't think anyone would dispute the fact that Maurice Andre deserves to be referred to as a trumpet virtuoso, for example, even if his appearance at a European gala concert fell very short of the standard of performance one would expect.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Virtuoso
    Band
    farr
    Euph
    David Childs
  13. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Yep.

Being the boss I was, of course, leading by example by being the one without a tie :hammer

You should've made yourself known.

14. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Yes - I agree! You could almost hear it ring round the hall :eek:

15. Welsh Guards Band

Welsh Guards Band New Member

I'm glad you enjoyed the performance from the British Army Brass Band. You can hear us again in a free evening concert on Saturday 25th October at Pontins.

You can also hear the Fanfare Trumpeters of the Welsh Guards at the Albert Hall on 11th October.

16. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

Mr Childs played a number of pieces including Brilliante and one where he tried to be a canary. At that point listening to a euphonium tweeting had me giggling like a schoolgirl!

17. Blagger

Blagger Member

Ahh the old Hot Canary - tweet tweet :p

18. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

If I remember rightly, the Hot Canary has something like 164 top "Super" F's in it.

Now that's what you call a virtuoso.