What I learnt today.....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by JesTperfect!, Jun 3, 2008.

1. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

A bit of advice for all those in either year 11 or 12:

When you get to do your A Levels, you need to revise.

Do NOT under ANY circumstances, do what I did today and think that you'll be able to just ghost your way through the exams.

Why I thought it would be ok, I don't know, because I don't know King Lear from Adam (was he a King?!). And I still don't. Not only that, but the nice examination markers will know that I don't have a clue about Shakespeare in a few weeks time. Then a few weeks after that, my results will come out, and all my family and friends will find out too.

NOT good.

Take my advice.

Do SOME revision.

Yours sincerely,

(a very humble)​

BLACKSHEEP New Member

Hello Jessica
    I do not beleive that you will have done no work at all, knowing you as I do your outlook is always a negative one. Have the exams finished if they have then put it behind you and have a good time, if you have more to come then get some positive feelings within yourself. Whatever your results are your true friends and family will not judge you from them. xx now guess who I am!!!
  3. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

I'm 26 and left school with 4 GCSE's and I didn't revise. I was in bottom set for everything! They wouldn't even let me do A levels and I've done alright. Got a degree also (I also didn't revise for the exams) got a 2:2. I have no regrets.
  4. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

Really don't know-you've not given me an awful lot to go on!!

Tell me....please?
  5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I realise everyone is different, but I could never settle down to revision either. The subjects I was best at, and took through to A-level, were those involving largely cumulative knowledge that was being used all the time, rather than needing lists of dates etc to be learnt - took Maths, French and German, although the German was an enforced substitute for the Music I really wanted to do, due to moving areas and having completely different set works in the new syllabus.

If you can revise, all well and good, but for me I knew that shutting myself away in the run uop to the exeams would have just served to get myself wound up, so I kept to my usual routine of practices, engagements etc, fitting in odd bits of revision as and when.
  6. boagy

boagy Member

D'oh!!! you will be OK...........................eventually!!

7. six pints

six pints Active Member

Just to add to advice...

Don't turn up to university finals having drank half a bottle of white ace, and taking the last half in with you. It never ends well! Ahh, the joys of last year!
  8. leisa

leisa Active Member

Ugh revision. Every exam i ever revised for i failed in then passed the ones i didnt revise....its overrated
  9. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

Have to agree with everyone else - revision is definitely overrated. You'll probably be surprised at just how much the examiners think you do know about Shakespeare. And if not...what's the worst that will happen?!

Either was, it's done now. Sit back, relax and enjoy the summer. :cool:
  10. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

This thread is making me quite angry. Two of my daughters are currently going through GCSE and A2 exams and are revising every single minute of the day. I have to tell them to stop and go to bed. The house is like a paper factory at the moment with piles of past papers and notes everywhere.
    If you don't revise you don't deserve to pass period. I think some students on here have been very silly. GCSE and A levels are the defining point of most (if not all peoples) lives and they deserve to be approached very very seriously.

My eldest needs 2 As and a B at A level to get on her dental course. She is the least 'clever' of my 3 daughters and often surprises me with her naievety and lack of knowlege on certain subjects, but I have no doubt she will pass with all A's and the reason is pure and simple hard work and revision, revision, revision.
  11. leisa

leisa Active Member

that might be so with some people but alot of others arent revision 'types' i learnt far more from visual lessons than i ever did from sitting down and revising because none of it stuck. In the lessons where we just sat down and copied from the bored i didnt learn a thing. I just believe that as long as you listen and concentrate and get alot from lessons there isnt a great deal more you can do by revising, unless your one of those people who can look at a page and remember it all.

Revising is about remembering. Lessons are about learning
  12. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Leisa, revising can only improve your chances. I know you are a talented player. You didn't get to where you are musically by 'learning' how to read music and 'learning' the finger positions. I suspect you did it with practicing long and hard. Revision is just practice. If you spend months before your exams practicing past papers then the real test won't phase you and you will do well.
  13. leisa

leisa Active Member

You would be surprised lol

I am just saying in my experience, i only revised at gcse level for science and german and i revised ALOT for them both, admittedly a did a little music revision as well none of which really turned out to be relavant for the exam! i got a D in German and a EE for Science yet all the subjects i hadnt revised for i had got A-C grades simply because i could remember interesting lessons that the teachers had prepared. I did exactly the same at A-level with Eng Language and came out with a D and then two B's for music and psychology which i didnt revise for. I am just saying that myslef and my friends found this to be the case and revising does not work for everyone!
  14. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

As a teacher I'd say there are lots of different styles of learning, but teaching a subject where its not learning pages of facts, but applying the knowledge, the best way of revising is loads of past papers. Too many pupils think its our job to do all their revision for them as well and don't do anything at home, and then blame us when there's a question that isn't identical to one we did in class.
  15. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

No...if you don't know your stuff you don't deserve to pass. If passing was based on revision there would be marks for revising.

I have a lot of respect for people who work hard at subjects and exams and always hope that they get a fair mark. But I suspect most people coming up to an exam actually know a lot more than they think, and that invariably comes out in their answers.

I venture to suggest two things: firstly that anyone whose revision takes over their life will probably under-perform in the exam because of the pressure they have put on themselves; and secondly, that 'cramming' almost never works - if you don't know something a week before the exam, you probably won't remember it in the exam anyway.
  16. leisa

leisa Active Member

Thats exactly what i think. To me revising does put more pressure on you to perform (sometimes over-practising does the same) you sort of 'over-think' whereas the exams i went into without revising i ironically felt alot more chilled and relaxed. If revising does that for you then fair enough but it can make it worse for some people.
    A friend was telling me the other week that she practiced before a rehearsal when she hadnt done for ages and she played alot worse than she did when she doesnt practice, i think if you think about things too much you end up doubting the stuff you actually know.
  17. StellaJohnson

I have an end test (open book exam) next week. I'm a part time HNC student, I'm not going to revise, but I'm going to make sure I know what I'm doing before I walk into the room. As I've got older, my approach is to research as I go along.

A previous post mentioned if you don't know your stuff you don't desearve to pass. I have to agree with you there.

18. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

I am sorry that this thread has made you angry. However, if you look at my original post (of which the relevant bits I have provided above) then you will notice that I'm quite ashamed of the fact that I did little or no revision.

The thread was written with the intension of having a bit of a laugh at myself and my stupidity, while making a serious point that revision IS neccessary.

It's most certainly NOT suggesting that I'm proud of myself, and it wasn't my intension to try to gain sympathy.

I don't deserve sympathy-if I fail, I can now only blame myself.

Like I say, I apologise that it has made you angry, but rest assured - I also think I'm a Pr*t.
  19. Liamhorn

Liamhorn Member

I got through all my GCSE's and Electrical exams without revising. :p
  20. StellaJohnson

whoops just had my end test, did ok, but i forgot some of my notes! oh well whats done is done. think i've done ok