What have you played ?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by stevetrom, Oct 1, 2004.

What have you played with your current band

1. Soprano

2. Bb Cornet

3. Flugel

4. Tenor Horn

5. Baritone

6. Euphonium

7. Tenor Trombone

8. Bass Trombone

9. Eb or Bb Bass

10. Percussion

11. Conductor

Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

What have you played with your current band?

Sorry I could'nt split Eb and Bb bass, it was a choice between splitting the basses and leaving out percussion/sop/bass trom
  2. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

I started on Bass trom and moved to tenor at Bestwood. I've played cornet previously. My ambition is to be promoted to 2nd Baritone, but unfortunately I'll have to get rid of my girlfriend first.... :-D
  3. stevetrom

I started on tenor horn and have previously played everything except Bb bass, Flugel and Sop - I played percussion whin I lost my front teeth in a motorbike accident !

With my current band I have played Solo Trom, 2nd Trom, Bass Trom, Solo Euph, 2nd Euph and Eb Bass.

You have to keep moving or else they will catch you out !
  4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

A poll's not ideal in this sitation as it cannot take into account those who've played various instruments. Since being at Hadleigh I've mainly played bass - initially BBb but currently EEb - but I've also had two spells on baritone, helped out occasionally on euphonium or horn at holiday times and even once on trombone :shock:
  5. stevetrom

I agree the poll is limited (you can make multiple selections)

As a follow on question I moved around a lot more when I played in a SA band - at one point I used to take areombone, a euphonium and an Eb bass to open air meetings on a sunday morning and wait to see who turned up !
  6. dyl

dyl Active Member

Ummm Peter - you can select multiple answers! ;)
  7. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Not in my current band... but in a previous band I played Percussion, Cornet, Tenor Horn, Trombone and Eb Bass............... not at the same time though ;-)

I've had a go on everything except Sop and Flugel...

...All in good time! ;)

8. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

In my time, and in the following order I have played
    Bb Cornet for three weeks in my First band
    Tenor Horn
    Tenor Horn again
    Tenor Horn again
    Flugel Horn
    Tenor Horn again
    EEb Bass
    And the piece de la resistance
    BBb Bass
  9. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Thanks, dyl - I'd assumed it was one of the old "single answer only" polls: have now voted and sown seeds of confusion :shock:
  10. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Mods - how about adding a "conductor" option to the poll - some of us may have transcended mere "playing" ;)
  11. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I worked my way up the cornet section (including a week on sop :eek: ) eventually getting to the front row, but then my true calling came as flugel. In a fit of madness I moved onto 1st horn (my first contest was The Forest of Dean - anyone remember the horn parts for that?) and then solo horn and then back to flugel - and loving it!!
  12. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Oh yea, how could I forget that I play the baton! :lol: ;) :p
  13. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

As an 'in-the-womb' Eb bass player I actually came to Old Hall as a dep on 2nd Bartione. But eventually I arrived back at the top of the band during one of Neil's famous personnel shuffles :) I also wave the stick a fair bit and the band very kindly allow me, in view of my advanced age and associated physiological problems :), to play Euph on the march and I also play Euph with the junior band.

BTW and completely off-topic Naomi, is this the new you? :clap: 8) :wow
  14. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

I've always been a flugel player, but I have been known to play tenor horn or cornet... When I joined Granite City last year I was put in the back row until a space came up on flugel. Boy, was I happy when that happened! :) :D :-D :D :) I'm not really a cornet player - for some reason I get a nice sound out of a trumpet, flugel or tenor horn, but a cornet just sounds YUCK!(when I try to play it...)
  15. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

I've only played Bass Trom with my current band but, in previous lives, I've played everything except percussion. I've also conducted a non-contesting village band for a couple of years.
  16. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

only ever played trombone... can't be doing with those piston valve thingummies...
  17. Lil Miss

Lil Miss Active Member

i've only played bflat cornet for my band, but i'd luv 2 play percussion, sop and flugal (not at the same time though:-D ) !!!!!!!!!!1
    For sum reason i'm absoultely obsessed w/ Flugal so i think i might compete at (aussie) nationals on flugal!!!!!!!!!!1:)
  18. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

With Wem ive only played Bb cornet, but with previous bands ive attemted sop, horn and flugel
  19. the fish

the fish Member

I have only played BBb bass with any band, I started on it aged 8, been with Wantage 5 years now
  20. backrowbloke

backrowbloke Member

Current band - Backrow cornet.
    Prior to that....
    Sovereign - Backrow cornet
    Staffordshire - Backrow cornet
    West Bromwich - Backrow cornet
    Sandwell Youth - Backrow cornet
    Langley Junior - Backrow cornet

Anyone see a pattern emerging here....?