What has happened to the NHS???????

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by super_sop, Nov 4, 2004.

1. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

I woke up on Monday morning with the headache to end all headaches. thuis didnt bother me to much as i had had quite alot of alchole over the weekend.

unfortunately its now thursday and i still have the flipin headache.

after talking to some of the lads at work (Im now extremly woried!) thought it would be good to get down to the quacks and get checked out.

heres the reason for this rant!!!!

i first caled my wife for the telliphone number to the quacks only to find that the sergury now is only does open sergery from 9AM to 10AM. After this time i will have to mmake an apointment.

i have been trying to get hold of the docs now for 40 mins to know availe.
    i have been told from somebody else registered at the same docs that the chances of geting in in the next few days are almost impossible.

it looks like you now need to give notice of atleast a week before yoyu are ill to get a flipin apiontmaent!

is your docs the same or is this just ours?

over to you!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    headache
    thuis
    alchole
    alot
    some
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Our surgery recently changed its system, and now only operates on a day to day basis. For a morning appointment you ring from 8.15 and they will guarantee to fit you in, or from 1.30(?) for an afternoon appointment. They cannot necessarily guarantee that you will see any specific doctor, although the GPs do have a number of pre-bookable appoiontments that they can arrange for specific patients.

Generally I find the system works pretty well, although my bugbear is that they used to have a Saturday morning surgery, so I could see the doctor without needing to take time off work. Now, however, I have to arrange time off, which often involves taking a day or half-day holiday, due to commuting time etc, sometimes with another one a week or so later if a follow-up appointment is needed.

4. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

I'm a lucky girl, there is open surgery everyday at my Doctors. You just turn up and wait in the waiting room. Sadly he's getting on a bit now and when he retires I imagine we too will have to know a week in advance about being ill. Luckily I don't get ill very much either, which is very nice.

5. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

My Doctors are quite good they have open surgery 9 -10, 1- 2, and 7-8 every day. and if you get there early you get seen first. Unfortunately this is where the pro's stop and the cons start. If you are really unlucky my doctors will prescribe u penicillin even if you are severely allergic to it and completely misdiagnose cancer.

6. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Yes - it's ludicrous - We cannot book advance appointments ahead - we have to ring at 8.30am for an appointment on that day, and 12.30pm for an early evening
    evening appointment on the day.
    When you ring at or just before these times the lines are all engaged and you have to try 20 - 30 times before you get through
    You then may get an appointment if :-
    A) The Doctor is on duty that day.
    B) If all the appointments aren't taken by people who got through to the Surgery before you.
    NOW !! - have you ever tried to find an NHS Dentist ?
    I have had to go privately as the only NHS guy near us is a Butcher.
    Last Tuesday I went for a check up and a clean and polish, nothing else at all and I was charged £69.00 - I'm obviously in the wrong job !!!!!!
    I'm putting this on a separate thread !!

7. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

Update!
    ive just managed to speak to a doc who sugested i dont take anything else as it could be giving me a "bounceback headache"!
    If i can get to the docs before 9 tomoz he will garentee that i can see somebody.

it seems that at our practice there is only the one period of 1 1/2 hours to be seen without an apointment, so it looks like its a time off work jobby and either make up the time or book off hols!
    There is no evening or weekend walk in surgery!

8. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Conversely, to get an appointment at Sheffield Uni Health Service you have get up at the crack of dawn (well 9am, which isn't always advisable when you're ill) on THE DAY you want the appointment for to ring them to get an appointment. Ring after 10am and you're knackered.

Its a silly system. When I had my Glandular Fever (with associated tonsilitis) and couldn't eat or talk properly i tried making an appointment on the day but couldn't get one despite the fact that my inability to talk was quite clear!! In the end my housemate rang up and gave the woman a load of grief and made me sound so much worse than i was and got me an emergency appointment. It was justified though as not 5 hours later I was admitted to the Uni "mini-hospital"!!

9. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Luckily, having a doctor-daddy I just phone him for advice... the surgery at uni can usually fit me in within a few days whenever I need to get a prescription, but that's all I use them for...

All I need now is a plumber relation, and a car mechanic possibly...

10. ju33les

ju33les Member

It's easy super_sop
    Get arrested and stay in one of the Queen's hotels....et voila! Instant healthcare, and the option to sue if not provided.
    Cynical me? ;)

11. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I've had to wait 2 weeks for an appointment before...

At uni if it's the right time of year I can usually be seen in a couple days... like this week... made an appointment Tuesday, got seen today...

Open surgery back home is for an hour or so first thing in the morning weekdays...

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    headache
    thuis
    alchole
    alot
    some
  13. six pints

six pints Active Member

we have three days of open surgery and two of normal stuff. what annoys me is not being able to get some of my drugs on repeat prescription and having to see them every ruddy month!!