What has happened to the Brass Band Movement?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by halsasaurus, Mar 28, 2008.

1. halsasaurus

halsasaurus Member

I have decided to get back into Banding after a 20 year absence. It is brilliant to be involved again but what has happened at the Grass Roots level? Where are all the old traditional town bands? What has happened at the Top such as with Bessies?

2. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Ah.
    Grass roots?
    Trad town bands?
    Bessies top?
    Meaning of life?

We all search for the answers

The movement keeps moving...........

I think I need therapy - W? M?

Oh. Welcome to the New Age of "the Brass Band Movement"

3. halsasaurus

halsasaurus Member

Hello

Technology has surpassed us all. i remember catching a bus to Bell View just to change my registration. i cannot remember what the ladies were called but i know they were super heroes and i still have my card

4. derekdawson

derekdawson Member

there's a point, what happened to all the old cards? a complete record of years of banding, just discarded or what?

5. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

I have the answers for you:

Grass roots? Too much use of Herbicide
    Trad Town Bands? Too many moving to the Countryside
    Bessies top? Too many barn conversions
    Meaning of Life? 42

Any more room on that couch?

6. Liz Loftus

Liz Loftus Member

Ethal Behan and my mum helped her - Maureen Hope.

Those were the day!!!

7. Liz Loftus

Liz Loftus Member

My mum died recently and when clearing her house - no I didn't find all the countries old cards!!!
    But I found my 2 younger brothers junior registration cards and it was amazing how many contests we used to do.
    The majority of those don't exist any more.
    Does anyone remember the BBC Radio Manchester Contest?

8. halsasaurus

halsasaurus Member

Maureen Hope

Was Maureen the backbone of Windsor Prize Band in Salford?

9. Liz Loftus

Liz Loftus Member

She certainly was :tup - until we moved to Devon and her and dad retired to join us!! How did you know her?

10. Liz Loftus

Liz Loftus Member

Sorry Halsasauras - I've just looked at you banding history. THe last time I played with Windsor was 84 before we moved to Devon and Kev was a baby. I am actually up in Swinton at the moment staying with Graham - who are you??

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Brass Band Movement
    Grass Roots
    Bessies
    old traditional town bands
  12. halsasaurus

halsasaurus Member

I started at Windsor in the 70's just as you were leaving and your Graham left to join Newton Heath. Your Andrew stayed for a while before joining the Army but I stayed for years. You conducted me as the Euph player in a quartet at the Spurley Hey slow melody and Youth Band competition.
    Maureen was a lovely lady and i have many fond memories of her.
    I am thinking about posting a website for Windsor and all it's history and would be very interested in anything you may have that could be of use
    Steve

13. halsasaurus

halsasaurus Member

Steve Hughes.

14. Liz Loftus

Liz Loftus Member

Hi Steve

What's your other name? Used to love Spurley Hey! One of my finest moments winning the 18 to 21 section :biggrin: I do the solo contests down here with our Junior Band.

There is still a full band of instruments and a full library of music at Windsor - they get together to play at Rememberance Sunday. I wish I still lived up in Swinton would love to start the band up properly again. Maybe some will one day!!

When it was Uncle Jacke funeral we had the wake in the Buff club, where the instruments are kept and all got them out and put on a concert for ourselves - it was fantastic the sound that we made!

Liz

15. halsasaurus

halsasaurus Member

I have joined Eccles. I was with Ricky this week and he wants to start again. I work with Rob Young (Frank and Olive's son) and he is up for it too. What about your Graham and Andrew? Are they still playing?

16. Liz Loftus

Liz Loftus Member

I was just going to say try Eccles Borough - have been trying to pursuade Graham and Johnny to join Eccles. Andrew lives in New Zealand so a long way for band practice!! Graham can still knock out a great tune - me and him played a duet at mum's funeral a few months ago - we had a full band made up of all the North Devon Bands and Johnny, Stephen and my son played. Graham is coming down to us for his usual summer holiday and I've just been going through my diary lining him up for the jobs we've got booked!! He keeps saying his retired - but I'm sure he'd be up for it - he's just said as long as there's free beer!!!

Graham seems to think he remembers you - did you marry a girl from the band?

Helen Craig lives in Blackpool and is still playing bass. But Paula is still around. And of course the Clayton's clan has expanded and Stephen has taught his girls to play.

I'll come up for the first rehearsal with my daughter if you get it off the ground!!! It would be great if you could find Kipper, Gary Lord - before your time - John Irving, Cyd Swindells. There were just so many great players that no longer play - this is what the band movement needs!!!! Maybe even Darrol would throw in some new music!!

Get hold of Steven Clayton - he'll make it happen with you and Ricky!!

Found some great photo's at mums - funnily enough Olive Young and Flo Hough were on a few of them.

Sorry to hog this thread folks!! But a Windsor Band come back would be awesome!!

Are there any more ex Windsor players on here???

Liz

17. halsasaurus

halsasaurus Member

I played with Gary lord when he was principle cornet at Swinton under Dave King. I just missed Daryl Barry at Windsor when there was a split and he formed Salford Brass. There must be enough material to write a book with all the things that went on.

18. ScotsGuyInWales

ScotsGuyInWales New Member

When you asked this, did you really expect to get such detailed answers? It's like an epsiode of Corrie so far!:)

19. halsasaurus

halsasaurus Member

20. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

And I still need therapy!

21. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

So much for the NHS Waiting Time Targets, then!!! :(

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Brass Band Movement
    Grass Roots