What Happens To All The Music?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Cornet_player, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Cornet_player

Cornet_player Member

I was wondering as there is so much new music being constantly produced what happens to all the old music- there cant be an endless store of it surely so does it get sold on or simply thrown away?

2. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

I think most of it ends up on ebay now. A lot of it also ends up getting damaged and never replaced

3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Most of it is forgotten!

4. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Or it just lingers in bandrooms and doesnt't ever get played! I'm in the process of cataloguing our band library (if/when I get the time) I've done 900+ pieces so far, some of it hasn't been out of the library for over 20 years!! To be honest though.....some of it is utter rubbish!!!

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- bought in the heat of fashion? (popular composer/arranger at the time?)

6. Sopha

Sopha Active Member

thats a good point actually! ..spose most of it just gets chucked somewhere and forgotten about! poor music lol

7. Brassy Lady

Brassy Lady Member

Same here!! Trouble is, you think, just maybe, for some obscure reason, the band may need it again, so end up keeping it.

8. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

20 years?

There are boxes of hand written scores in the Besses library dating back to about 1874 (there are other bits and pieces even older than that)....I've always wondered what some of them are like.

9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- I share your sympathies :)p )

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Another reason why music is abandoned is simply because of missing parts that haven't been replaced! Band takes set out for a run through and give up because of two or more being missing and then forget about getting replacements.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    new music
    old music
    endless store
  12. stephenmrry

stephenmrry Member

It really is just the natural cycle of music! I have been studying all about the origins of irish traditional music and music just gets lost in time and it appears this is happening here too. With so many modern composers the old arrangements of pieces get forgotten but its a different era really and banding at the moment banding is really going through a time where there is constantly new music been composed but im sure there will be a time when a revival period will happen when old classics are brought back! You could argue its already begun with Judges of Secret Court used at nationals which is by no means a new piece

13. Barking Baritone!

Barking Baritone! New Member

Some of the music in our library isn't played any more because it isn't very politically correct. We have a number of Black & White Minstrels selections, for example!

14. David Pegram

David Pegram Member

Its turned out as 2nd section area test pieces

15. Texus

Texus Member

We have 2 libraries from when our bands merged - leaving a fantastic amount of 'brown' music for our MD to please us with......
    Having experienced 'Judges' at first hand i can vouch for how damn hard some of it is!

16. winterman

winterman Member

I found this when re-cataloging our band library last year (long story but it involved a large amount of mains water). I suggested to the conductor that just to make a change in rehearsals we start going through the library starting at #0001 and working through, just one piece a night for about 15 mins.. think it lasted about 3 weeks before we got too busy with other jobs. Over 2500 pieces in total a lot of which are a glorious sepia colour nowadays.

Some very "interesting" pieces and also some right belters', as I recall we actually used #0001 in one of the following concerts which was nice as it probably would never have been used again otherwise.

17. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Anyone found the pleasant piece "Cock up your beaver" while sorting out their library?

18. Brassy Lady

Brassy Lady Member

No, but I did see it advertised on a web site. Very intriguing title.....

19. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Certainly is if you google it!

20. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

That one popped up on ebay and someone started a thread on here about it a while back. Have come across a couple of other amusing titles like 'Dick's Maggot' and Bullock's Hornpipe. Also 'The Gay 90's' (1890s I'm assuming!)

21. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

We did the same thing several years ago - but we went through the catalogues just picking out random titles. Some of the titles are memorable to say the least - one which sticks in the mind is "droop not young lover" :oops: although the title is much better than the piece. We found a novelty piece called "A Motor Trip" by Shipley Douglas that we used for several concerts, but not a lot else!

We have a couple of gems in there too - our library dates back to 1902 when the band was formed. We have several hand-written scores from the bands founder, Charlie Moore - who is a bit of a musical legend round Leicestershire, and one of the reasons why we have so many bands in a small area, having formed or helped to form loads of musical societies and bands, including the Kibworth Band. Again I can recall two - a march titled "Hurricane" which gives the current band something to think about, so I can imagine what the members of the 1920's band thought of it! And a Hymn setting "Wigston" which has a stratospheric sop part (at P!). Both are very well written pieces though.

We also have a set of quartets written by Gilbert Vinter for (I think) the GUS band in the late 60's / Early 70's. I've no idea how we got hold of those though. ;)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2006
  22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    new music
    old music
    endless store