What happened with Yorkshire Building Society Band?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by xRinat, Jul 19, 2009.

1. xRinat

xRinat Member

From 1999 - 2004 they kept being the best, kept getting 96+ points.

What the hell happened? I don't see them on European Championships anymore! They used to play so perfect there!

Can anyone tell me, did the best players quit or did they just stop trying, can anyone tell me what happened if you know?

2. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Big question! The short answer is that they lost their sponsorship in 2006, followed by the MD and several key players, but its a lot more complicated than that! There are loads of posts about this in the archive, and plenty of people on tMP who know more about what happened from personal experience, so its worth having a bit of a browse to catch up. A good summary of the YBS story (imo anyway!) is here on 4 bars rest.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  3. xRinat

xRinat Member

Thank you so much, this helped me find the actual problem.

4. jrshimmon

jrshimmon Member

Just re-read the 4bars.... Article on the impressive Prof King and YBS. What a band they were back then. I must say as a teenager I thought they were the best thing since the tuning slide. I do hope Hammonds Slataire will one day return to this kind of winning form. Vitae Lux is one of my favourite recordings and I still listen to tracks of it from time to time. Best of Luck Hammonds!

I personally can not wait to see what comes of Prof King's new relationship with Brigus' will lets hope they give him a good crack of the whip.

5. xRinat

xRinat Member

I look up to YBS allot, I just miss them so much. They were perfect, and I really hope they comes back soon.

6. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

It is easy to over-simplify, but I do think the overriding thing is money. To be a very successful band and win so many titles, you need great players and a professional MD - neither of these come cheaply. Unfortunately, it is often the case that players and MDs also put their prices up when they know the band has a hefty sponsorship deal (I'm not accusing anybody of doing that in this case, but it does happen).

So, a change of name, a dip into the 1st section next year, but the important thing is that the band has survived. There have been so many bands in recent years that have been lucky enough to have a good sponsor only to fold when the money dries up - so YBS/Hammonds have obviously cleared the first hurdle! Now for that bounce back into the top flight......

Best of luck Hammonds!

7. xRinat

xRinat Member

I really hope it works out for them soon. I want them to stand again as they did before.

8. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

They did bounce back with a 5th placing at the National finals and a 4th at Brass in concert in 2007. Things really were on the up again. Unfortunately they decided to end their relationship with Richard Evans at this point.
    Another part of the problem was the hire and fire mentality at the time. I know this because I was there. I was the band master.
    These things coupled with very poor man management have resulted in the present situation and relegation.
    Such a shame because the band had some of the best players i will ever sit with.
    Alex Kerwin, Ken Ferguson, Simon Gresswell, Mike Kilroy, Kate Eggleshaw and Chris Gomersal to name a few.
    Such a shame.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  9. xRinat

xRinat Member

Yes it is a shame. Is it a chance they might come back?

10. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

nope.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    European
    Yorkshire Building Society Band
    best players
    European Championships

BoozyBTrom Member

Thanks Donna!! ha ha ha only jokin.

13. Steve

Steve Active Member

:tup

14. BariPower

BariPower Member

Maybe we should give the band the benefit of the doubt, I'm sure it takes years to build up a stable team who will work with each other. I liked what I heard of them at the English Nationals so I do think there is hope for the band!!

15. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

I don't think anyone's saying Hammonds don't have the potential to keep rebuilding and be great again in the future - I really hope they manage it.
    BUT, the combination of players & MD that made the YBS of 5-10 years ago is never going to happen again.

16. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

that's what i was referring to yep.

17. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

Stability doesnt seem to be a valued commodity to this outfit. A turnover of 40+ players in 2 years gives a bad reputation.

18. YBS under david King is undoubtly the best contesting band I have ever heard, Some memorable performances will stick with me forever. My favourite being their performance of Tristan Encounters at the Yorkshire Areas a few years back! they were a class above the rest that day by a country mile.

19. Alyn James

Alyn James Member