What happened when you met......???

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by DaveR, Mar 16, 2006.

1. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I have just been reading a letter on 4BR about somebody who plucked up the courage to speak to somebody famous that they admire, only to receive the cold shoulder.

It prompted me to wonder whether or not tMPers have ever met anybody famous, and plucked up the courage to talk to them? How did you get on? Was it what you expected?

I once met the actor Geoffrey Palmer on a tube train and found him to be a really, really nice chap!

On the other hand my sister went on holiday to Thailand a couple of years ago and stayed in the same hotel as a very well-known actor (who I suppose had better remain nameless!) who was in EastEnders. Turned out that this chap was a complete rude and arrogant plonker (self-imposed fff censorship there!).

What have your experiences been?

2. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

In the spring of 1976, the Salvation Army in Washington held a Music Councils featuring Eric Ball. I was 13 at the time, and a complete brass band freak. The conductor of the National Capital Band at the time was Campbell Robinson, who was a friend of Eric's, and Eric stayed at his house. My family (my father was the deputy conductor of the band) was invited to dinner at the Robinson's house with Eric in attendance.

He seemed very old and frail, but at the same time was masterfully insightful about a number of things. It was an amazing experience, and is one of the reasons why I'm still involved in music today.

3. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

well it depend on what you think of as famous.
    For me most recently it was seeing James Gourlay comming out of the BBC manchester studios after the young BBC thingy( he'd been taking B&R) so i went over to hin and shook his hand and said thanks for a really great evening and he was great about it. seemed a really nice chap. i also think as some of the top bands as famous and beeing in the same room as B&R and getting to talk to quite a few of their members on the same evening (aswell as the evening they played at Wem) for me was magical and they were all great to talk to!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2006
  4. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

I met Michael Le Vell (Kevin from Corrie) once in woolworths and he seemed a really nice guy, that is until a couple of lads from my school went round yelling 'look, its that bloke from eastenders'...he got a bit miffed after that! Also met Vicky Entwistle (Janice Battersby) and Shobna Gulati (Sunita) and they were really down to earth. I also saw Anthony Cotton (Sean) signing autographs at a Jamie Cullum concert, which was probably the last thing he felt like doing, and I thought that was a really nice gesture. BUT my favourite 'celebrity' is definitely James Morrison! He is such a nice guy and even though he must get people coming up to him every day, he still had time for his fans and even let us have a photo taken with him!
    The first time I had a lesson with Dave Thornton I was dead scared he'd be snobby or a bit off with me for being a 'nobody' but he was really friendly. Also anyone from black dyke who saw me and my friend when we went in the back door at their christmas concert :oops: and were kind enough not to point out that we were actually backstage and didn't have an invite...

5. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

When I was around 8 or 9, I met Terry Bradshaw, the NFL announcer and TV personality (at the time was the Superbowl winning quarterback for the Pittsburgh Steelers). He was also the spokesman for the company my Mom worked for (New Man hairpieces) as he was thinned out on top pretty well.

The man was a riot - he was just as cool and approachable as he appears on TV. Of course, he's one of those redneck country-boys, so he pretty much is what he seems.

Of late, I've had the opportunity to meet several local 'celebrities,' well - you see them on TV in ads for their business and whatnot. The ones that seemed more successful were general less appealing in person. A certain car dealer comes to mind right off for me. However, there's someone I've recently had the pleasure of meeting who shares the same name as one of my NBA heroes, Karl Malone. Of course, when I saw the name 'Carl Malone' as a well-known optometrist in our community, it stuck in my mind immediately. How I finally met the man is really cool as well - he's the Soprano Cornet and founder of our Brass Band...

... Oh yeah - and a stand-up chap if I ever met one.

6. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

I've met dozens of 'celebs' over the years, from all the Royals down to Martin Kemp and the lower down the pecking order they are, the more they think they are important. Didn't like Trevor Eve much or Prince Andrew. Sienna Miller was pretty nice close up. ;) (not as close up as I would have liked, mind!) Princess Anne was the friendliest, kept bringing me food. And Margaret Thatcher was great.

7. I met Prince Michael Of Kent when he came to open the new music block at comp.
    He asked me what lesson I was missing just to meet him, I replied science and hesaid 'oh well, not much loss there then!' he was really nice.
    Saw Gav n Charl getting annoyed with kids asking for autographs in London & weirdly, met Chantelle & preston in Harrods recentlt and she appeared to know me...she walked past and said 'Hiya....haven't seen you for ages...nice to meet you', I was only browsing a look at the well expensive Dior dresses.....she was buying them!

8. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

Some people must just look like celebs!!! ^

I met Bobby Robson when I was about 8 and he was lovely - talked to me for ages and even let my dad talk him to death. Also met Bob "Blockbusters" Holness (as did Ms Varley!) at Schools Proms - I think he was scared by the Bradford Youth Brass Band attacking him!

Best celeb meet was playing a gig with Ben Folds Five and sharing a dressing room with them! They were lovely guys and let me help them drink through the vast supply of alcohol....best flugel gig I ever had!

Rach x

9. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

I Played for the Queen and the Duke when they came to cornwall, the Duke started a conversation with me about my Euphonium "It amazes me how young people would choose to play such a big instrument" I didnt really know what to say to that?! Just had to stop myself from laughing! So i guess rather than him given me the cold shoulder i just stopped talking to him!

10. fredders

fredders New Member

Speaking of that article on 4bars, that dude used to play in our band!

Whilst playing for in a brass band I've met Take That on Xmas day years ago which was great! Also did a memorial service for the man who played Alf Roberts (I wanna say Brian Mosely?) and we all got invited to the drinks and sarnies afterwrads. Les Battersby was a scream, Bet Gilroy (Thats a man..man) was so far up her own hoop it was unreal! Cannon & Ball were they and they made us laugh and Ken Dodd said I had lovely eyes which was very random! Most of of the cast were there and were very normal and happy to sign autographs for us!
    Our band also had Dr Roy Newsome take us for a week before the Area and he is lovely. So nice, very knowledgable and he doesn't put anyone on the spot! I saw him at Blackpool on Sunday and shook his hand and thanked him for helping us and he was pleased that I had approached him and said how happy he was that we qualified!

Away from band I've met David Beckham and he is dim, I swear he is denying some place of their village idiot! But he gave my little bro his can of coke which was nice of him!

Lastly the funniest thing I've seen happen to a celeb involves Bernard Manning! his club his near my house and he was doing some kind of charity photo shoot for the local paper and they asked him to sit in this carriage on a fun fair ride. Well all went smoothly until they said he could get out and the fact of the matter was, he couldn't cos he's way too fat! Ha ha made my day that did! :clap:

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Geoffrey Palmer
    tMPers
    holiday
    arrogant plonker
    actor Geoffrey Palmer
  12. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Never met any celebs, although apparently I was once sat next to some girl off corrie in a bar... she didn't even say hello, or ask for my autograph... how rude...

13. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

I went to a film premier with the Kents and then back to Kensington Palace. Was invited in for Tea and Biccies. :D (The film was rubbish though!!)

14. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Can't recall ever meeting anyone famous in celeb terms but I am reminded of when our school band (this was a LOOONG time ago) played at the old County Hall in London for an art exhibition attended by the Prince of Wales. As we literally took our breaths to start the 'Can Can', one of the trumpet section let rip with an almighty trouser trumpet. Brass section rendered completely incapacitated with laughter. Don't know what Charles thought of it. Didn't ask..... ;)

In BB terms, though. I've met Roy Newsome. Thoroughly charming man and extremely knowledgeable.

15. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

For any snooker anoraks out there I once met Len Ganley, the referee. He was a lovely man and I was sad when he died. Have been smiled at by Prince Michael of Kent and nearly ran over Adam Ricketts (Coronation Street) whilst cruising the lanes round here. Oh and we saw Bob Carolgees in our local Chinese once.
    BMB
    xx

16. englishgill

englishgill Member

I was out in Germany after finishing my university course there and got a job with a promotions company, they did tennis events for Mercedes Benz and were also running a football promotion for them.

Answering the phone I got to speak to Stefan Edberg - he was really nice but he only really wanted a Mercedes! Also I got to meet Boris Becker and organise a body guard for him. He wasn't actually very nice at all

Also, out in the back end of the old East Germany I got to offer Gary Linker a cup of tea - he was filming for his Golden Boots series and you could see him thinking about how good a northern English accent the germans had these days. Sadly I'm dressed in German goalkeepers kit (not terribly flattering) but I do have a photo of us shaking hands - I am grinning moronically and he is looking bemused. Still at least he didn't run away screaming.:oops:

17. Bex_Euph

Bex_Euph Member

I met Bryan from big brother in a club in leicester. He was with narinda from big bro and i was so excited I ran into someone and got a black eye! He was really nice, had a dance with him and everythin! I also saw Blazin squad at derby service station they were very up themselves. I get really excited if I see someone even remotly famous!

18. Bex_Euph

Bex_Euph Member

oh and also Gary Linikers family used to live across the road from me and his family have a fruit and veg stall on Leic market.

19. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

I remember a few years back, I went for a few beers in town with mates, we came out of sinclairs, it was about dinnertime, a small group of scruffy looking teenagers walked past us in the triangle, then all hell broke loose as a load of dirty little mosher girls ran over to them crying and screaming and hugging them. Out of curiosity one of the lads I was with walked over to them and said;

"excuse me, who the F*** are you?"

to which the lad replied

"we are the lost prophets"

20. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Reminded of another funny tale. When working at the PRS, a number of years back, they organised an educational video to be filmed in our department. They got in Jim Broadbent and Tony Robinson to do the main acting. One member of our department had the morning off. He came in after lunch looking somewhat bemused at all the events going on, so he enquired about it. Another member of staff told him that a video was being filmed and that the stars were Jim Broadbent and Tony Robinson.

'Who the f***'s Tony Robinson' he asked.

At which point Tony Robinson was standing right behind him.....

21. englishgill

englishgill Member

Also saw Jimmy White on a Ryanair flight from Dublin to London Gatwick on Tuesday this week. There was also some bloke who I was convinced was an actor (good looking late 40s sort of chap, looked like he'd play a doctor or sthg) but I didn't like to ask if he was. Whoever he was he seemed most excited about sharing a very cheap flight with JW and kept pointing. The rest of us were terribly British and pretended not to notice - not sure if JW was disappointed at the lack of adulation or if he was taking a slightly blurred view of proceedings ..

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Geoffrey Palmer
    tMPers
    holiday
    arrogant plonker
    actor Geoffrey Palmer