What happened to the Congleton Band

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Lostandfound, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Lostandfound

Lostandfound New Member

I remember hearing loads about this band a while ago and they just seem to have vanished!
    What happened? The band seemed to be doing really well.

2. impycornet

impycornet Member

Sponsorship got pulled - bandroom was part of the deal

Band folded & I think the instruments went to Silk Brass

Shame really

3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

When was this Rob...? I had heard the same thing, but can't remember when it happened.

4. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

I'm sure it was in the Mid to late 90s but then I get hazy where things like that are concerned.

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Didn't they have some local rich businessman who funded the short rise of the band, including bringing in players to strengthen ranks? They were under the name of Berisfords and Cardway then conducted by Hugh Megarrell and won the Nationals 2nd Section with The Aeronauts (Goff Richards) in 1996.

6. The old story I'm afraid. Berisfords band were a stable and decent standard second section band for many years. Then a load of money was pumped in, most of which was used to ship new "better" players in. A rapid rise up the rankings followed, then the money was pulled, and after a brief period as the Congelton band, they ceased to be. The instruments, which had been supplied by the National Lottery, were realloacted to the Silk band of Macclesfield.

I'm afraid the banding world is littered with the corpses of band who thought contest success would, in itself, bring long term prosperity. Stability is built on other things, and surely should be the most important ambition for any band.