What dont you do before a Contest

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by ian perks, Jan 14, 2006.

1. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

What are the things you do not do before the day of a contest.
    I do not have a shave for at least 12 days until the morning before the contest it sets me up just REARING TO GO:woo :woo :woo :bounce

2. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

i try not to get injured... kaz can vouch for how hard that is for me! :oops:

3. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Practice, enough!

4. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Ha! Honesty! Made me chuckle, thanks :clap:

5. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Yea, so can I.... I should start to ask each week when I teach you... "so, what have you done this time then?!" :p

As for me... well, probably the same thing as drummergurl, as I remember trapping my thumb inbetween tables setting up for a rehearsal a couple of weeks before the areas (a couple of years ago now)... man, that *really* hurt.... rehearsing Tristan Encounters turned out impossible for me so I was just sat with frozen peas on my poor swollen bruised thumb for the whole time instead..... :rolleyes:

6. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

hahahaha not managed summat like that yet!
    my first finals.. was with haydock, and it was the enigma variations thingy one.. and lucky me hurt the tendon in my wrist in the week before the contest.. *cue switching of parts!!*

more recently... i hurt the muscles in my shoulder the night before a contest.. still played the contest though..

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- I refuse to listen to any recordings of the test piece two or three weeks before the contest to focus on the band's performance.

8. laurz_oconnor

laurz_oconnor Member

do NOT take laxitives!

9. dickyg

dickyg Member

don't tell the conductor that you can't make any rehearsals the week before because you forget to tell him/her that you are going on holiday!

10. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

I don't take my dog for a walk.

Last year on the morning of the areas I took the dog for a walk and it was set upon by a pit bull. It clamped on to my poor dog and it took us 5 or 6 minutes to get the brute off. We basically had to strangle it with its choke chain till it passed out for a few seconds. I damaged a nerve in my finger by pulling and twisting the choke chain so hard and didn't regain full feeling in it for about 5 months. The rest of the morning was a frantic rush to the vets for a check up and antibiotics. Not the best preperation for a contest.
    My dog was ok BTW just heavy bruising and bad grazing - luckily it lay still and didnt fight back or it could've turned very nasty.

Another thing I don't do is oil or clean my instrument. Have done that once before a concert and had no end of trouble with a sticky valve (obviously having not flushed it out sufficiently.)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Contest
    dont
  12. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

I absolutely do not, under any circumstances, clean my cornet. I did this many years ago before my first champ section contest (I was 13, and wanted my cornet to look smart). Turns out the dirt was keeping it in tune. We spent 15 mins at the pre-contest blow trying to get me in tune with the rest of the cornet section :oops:; I got a bit of a rollicking from a senior player and it has stayed with me ever since.

13. B'aht a band

B'aht a band Member

I never took my bass home to practise before a contest..... mind you, I never bothered after contests or in general, as anyone on here who knows me will testify, because, the way I saw it, if it couldn't be done in a bandroom with a full band backing you, what was the point of doing it on your lonesome and getting more frustrated about not getting your part right........

Andy

14. 1alexm

1alexm Member

dont :guinessdrink :guiness too much beer

15. HBB

HBB Active Member

You shouldn't be drinking too much beer afterwards either!!

16. impycornet

impycornet Member

Is that going backwards ?

17. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

I always find not forgetting a mouthpiece is important...

Not me but a player in my old band - thank goodness for trade stands... :clap:

Thats happened a few times with mutes as well.

18. Steve

Steve Active Member

Dont sell your instrument
    Dont expect your trousers to still fit
    Dont expect your band shoes to be in the right place
    Dont forget to check which city the contest is in
    Dont forget who you are playing with
    Dont get punched in the face (too hard)
    Dont put your fingers in a closing door / drawer / lawnmower.

Think that about covers it

19. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

LOL "Don't sell your instrument"

I will have to remember that one.

20. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

......or your instrument!

Happened in our band about 6 or 7 years ago. We got to the rehearsal room at the Area Contest to discover a horn had been left at the bandroom! Not mine I hasten to add.

21. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I cant spell so its
    Rareing to go.
    When you have been up since 4ck in the morning for work your brain does not function 100%, thats my excuse

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Contest
    dont