What does this mean...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Soppy, May 30, 2004.

1. Soppy

Soppy Member

I was wondering if anybody could help explain what the following question means:

"Describe 4 examples of specific types of music notation that are helpful in the notation of pop music and jazz, but that are rarely used in other types of music."

I don't necessarily want the answer, but just an explanation of what it means. I understand notation as notes and lines and things, but then this question isn't really answerable if that is what it means :? :roll: :(

2. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

got me...sorry :?
  3. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I'd say TYPE of notation would be say:

notation of say, a guitar... chords? tab? score?
    vocal line... single line of music, lyrics underneath?
    drum line... fully written? or guide?

Jazz notation is written very differently to Pop...
  4. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Yeah!! Like I said...got me!!
  5. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

also, classical vocal music is written in flags (just the tails on quavers and semis), whereas lead sheats use bridges (REAL music, grouped into beats).

Orchestral music doesn't actually label chords, whereas pop and jazz have it written in, especially for soloists or basic accompaniment.

Guitar tab....need I say any more?
  6. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Besides guitar tablature and chords written in for soloists (which have already been mentioned) some of the notation for swinging eigth notes (dotted eighth/sixteenth or two eighth notes (might be quavers & semiquavers for you folks?) is really a triplet with the first two notes tied), and for jazz turns/falls are also a bit different.
  7. Sharpy

Sharpy Member

I think what the question is looking for is an example of how music is notated in a Jazz/Pop idiom and how that relates to how it would be written in a more traditional style. For example, a Chord symbol in Jazz/Pop such as E7#9 on a piano part would indicate to a pianist to play that chord. However in traditional notation those notes would be written on a stave. Does that make sense?!
  8. Soppy

Soppy Member

Great, thanks :D :D