What does "slent" mean?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by sop17, Aug 20, 2006.

1. sop17

sop17 New Member

I've been looking at Robert Eave's 'Rhapsody for Eb Soprano Cornet" and found "slent" written over 4 quavers and can't find out what it means, can anyone help?

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- it's an abbreviation of slentando .... (Italian) rallentando, getting slower, loosening the tempo, en rel√Ęchant. :cool: :tup

3. Is there an online dictionary of terms? I need to brush up on them aswell.

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- my usual choice is here!

5. sop17

sop17 New Member

Thanks! :)

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- someone will always help out on tMP! ;)

7. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

This is a favourite device of many Brass Band composers, choosing a dilberately obtuse and obscure instruction or marking in an otherwise fully intelligible score. A favorite ruse is the antique german dynamic marking in a score which otherwise uses Italian markings. Personally i think they are just taking the ****. I think they all get together in a pub once or twice a year and swap obscure markings like cigarette cards andf then rush off to write a test piece built entirely round this silly instruction.

They must have a right old laugh at the next contest listening to bands trying to enterpret somemthing that has probably come from a German hand book about building your own garden shed.

8. 1st Position

1st Position Member

That will be the percussion part then!!?

9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- then you'll know your Col legnos from your Copertis then? ;)

10. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

ha! well as a former voilinist I know what "with wood" means, but the second one? no idea mate!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    anyone
    Rhapsody for Eb Soprano Cornet
    slent
    Robert Eave
    quavers
  12. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

yes well done 1st position! its the way I set them up for you that makes it work!

13. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

Percy Grainger had the right idea if you ask me!

14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

coperti ... (Italian, literally 'covered') muffling of drums with a cloth, for example, in music for a funeral. ;)

15. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

What???!!!......

......muffle a drum? why would anyone want to do such a thing?!

16. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Quite. Most people's preference would be to muffle the drummer ;)

Possibly with an ether-soaked rag?

Example??

17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- possibly to dull and quieten the timbre for a resonant place like a cathedral?

18. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

Thought you would know that one seeing as your currently a drummer Shaggy he he.

Might try the "Col Legnos" as a chat up line next time I'm in town.Will post what kind of response I get as soon as.Can't see any good double entendres coming out of a muffled drum. :confused:

19. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

EXCUSE ME!!!! i get the distinct impression that the post above may not be entirely serious. It may even be an attempt at flippancy or even whimsy. Its no use trying to fool me squire !, I can spot a light hearted, throw away aside when I see one. Only the other day I caught a someone in the act, attempting to deliver a slightly diverting pun.

NOT ON MY PATCH THEY DONT!!!!!

Brass Banding is a very serious business. I will not tolerate levity of any description. Idid not join a Brass Band to have someone attempt to amuse me or entertain me.

I CAME TO SUFFER, TO SACRICIFICE, TO DEVOTE MYSELF TO A LIFE OF PIOUS SANCITMONIOUS RECTITUDE. I WILL NOT BE DEFLECTED FROM MY RIGHTEOUS PATH WITH.......JOKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.......DAM YOU!!!...MAY YOU ROT IN HELL!!!!

20. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- this was found recently in a pub bucket, scribbled on a beermat alongside bits of manuscript paper with dots on it .....
    :eek: no slentando here!

21. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

Whats this? a mod makes a joke and fails to pull his own post? has the world gone mad??

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    anyone
    Rhapsody for Eb Soprano Cornet
    slent
    Robert Eave
    quavers