What does it mean when......

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by nickjones, Aug 31, 2005.

1. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

What does it mean when the band press / adjudicators say.......
    "Rolls Royce Bass Sound"...........do they mean
    2.Silent and Smooth
    3.Old Fashioned
    4.The Grand old ladies of the band / road?????

"Noise that would wake the dead"
    1.Dabble in the dark arts of reanimation
    2. A bad noise that would make a dead / living composer spin in his/ her grave????

Add your own too this list? about puzzling comments :p
  2. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

1. The instruments themselves may be expensive, but the players are invariably cheap and can usually be bought for the price of a pint.
    2. In nearly 20 years of banding I have never heard of a bass being silent and smooth. Loud and rough, yes.
    3. No just old.
    4. Not without a sex change. And my hat goes off to all those brave ladies who do play at the back...
    Always thought of basses more as old transit vans.
  3. julestools

julestools Active Member

Careful... Badger - Basses are the heart and soul of the band, well ours anyway.

You would be lost without us wouldn't you!!

Anyway I always thought of myself as a sporty open tourer or even a vintage Bentley, but not a tranny van...:cool:
  4. bigmamabadger

We'd go a lot steadier without you, Mr. "I can play Bandology without even looking at my fingers"

Ha ha ha ha!:tongue:
  5. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Well .. there is actually a Rolls Royce band in Derby (4th section I think) so I suppose it means you sound like their bass section - which I am sure means very good (better be diplomatic here as they are only 15 miles up the road)
  6. rutty

rutty Active Member

Isn't there a higher-section Rolls Royce band in Coventry? Maybe they mean that one. Or they mean that the bass section sound like a 747 taking off
  7. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

The former Rolls Royce, Coventry is now Jaguar Cars (Coventry), and so I would hope they would stay firmly on the ground!
  8. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

On a similar note,

does a "Silky smooth" sound mean it's flat, thin and likely to rip at any moment......
  9. bigmamabadger

No, it just means you've covered it in Veet... (ask your girlfriend)
  10. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Rolls royce basses?

Rolls royce seem a bit like Bessons really. Nice to look at, but expensive, and currently shipping production out to Germany!
  11. Steve

Steve Active Member

You paid over the odds in the aim of looking good, but it worked.