What does "Humour "mean?...........

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Shaggy, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

.........there i was, minding my own business thumping away trying to make head or tail of the bass drum part to "Poet and peasant" when someone said "oh for christ's sake give it a rest you? you sad spazz!!!, we cant hear the ****** questions"....apparently I was disturbing the pub quiz.

Lots of people in the pub started making a strange noise, a bit like a donkey, or that odd record that Aunty Doris bought me for Christmas many years ago..."The laughing policeman"....goodness knows why a policeman should be making such a noise when at work is beyond me!

My polite inquiries as to the reason for this strange noise in the pub made the noise even worse, and everyone in the pub was doubled over in some kind of strange convulsions. Later on, after a lot of pestering on my part, and a lot of very bad language in return i was informed that the reason for all this behaviour was that i had told a "Joke" and that I myself was some kind of "joke".

Its really scarey not being able to understand this kind of stuff and I feel I may be missing out on something, but I cant quite put my finger on what it is.

Can any one help me?....do the moderators have any clue for me?

Its got me baffled good and proper.
  2. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

No idea what you're on about, mate
  3. MR WMS

MR WMS Member

Humour in this context could mean hum our tune or get out of the bandroom.Try a softer beater man:)
  4. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

I'm confused! You were in the pub - bandless - and tried thumping the bass drum part to Poet and Peasant on the table, someone insulted you, they all started braying like donkeys, you asked why...and they started braying louder???

I'm sorry...I haven't got a clue. Unless of course it was a village pub? It could have been the inbreeding?? I know thats responsible for most of the nutters in Pilling! :rolleyes:
  5. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Agreed I'm of the same opinion - I think he's missed out a crucial bit of the story - what was the actual whitty remark that Shaggy replied with after they'd told him to shut up? Me thinks he's been out with that Stella again and he's suffering the consequences. As Shaggy said to me the other day "never post or text when you're pi$$ed - it always comes back the next day"
  6. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

I believe this link has all the answers.

Apparaently "humour - a message whose ingenuity or verbal skill or incongruity has the power to evoke laughter"

Some interesting descriptions under the bodily fluids definaition!

I do believe those strange noises may have been laughter!

Further lesson:

Humour – what works and what doesn’t?​

What works​
    l ​
    Humour from the heart, genuinely funny and up to the minute.

l ​
    You being you – the essential ingredient that makes the difference
    between an ordinary presentation and a worthwhile one is the part
    that is you, being yourself.

l ​
    Short stories relating to the subject, witty phrases, one-liners.

l ​
    Timing of humour – get it right and the audience will find your
    presentation more memorable.

What doesn’t work​
    l ​
    Patronising, victim-based humour.

l ​
    Using a member of the audience as the foil for humour.

l ​
    Racism, sexism, ageism – any ‘ism’.

l ​
    Putting across a joke that clearly isn’t appropriate and isn’t working.

l ​
    Trying to be something you are not.

I think the main point we can take from this is "You being you – the essential ingredient that makes the difference" Obvioulsy, you provide humour without reaslising it, don't be afraid of this, it's a good thing- if you are making someone smile you are making there day better (even if it is at your expense!). Too many grumpy sod's around ;)

Legend! ;) :clap:

7. NeilW

NeilW Member

Now there's an oxymoron :biggrin:
  8. Sabrina_2

Sabrina_2 New Member

Sounds to me like you were in Royston Vasey! ;)
  9. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

Can anyone think of a few amusing jokes about Test Piece names and composers?
  10. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Find a new pub Mr Shaggy.... one that recognises and understands the talents of such a fine bass drummer! (and maybe one that doesn't have a pub quiz for you to interrupt?)
  11. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

Oh and thanks for all the advice folks, very much appreciated, I will study it in detail for when I sit my moderator exams.
  12. dyl

dyl Active Member

What a good idea. Feel free to post them on here folks - so long as they're not in bad taste and not offensive in any way.
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2006
  13. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

ah......er......???...oh ******!
  14. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

Shaggy have you been drinking Pythagoras' Tesco Value Lager?
  15. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

That's whose nicked it all then!
  16. starperformer

starperformer Member

what was Adolf Hitler's favourite testpiece?
  17. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Penned by Horovitz by any chance?
  18. starperformer

starperformer Member

he didn't have one. just wasn't into brass bands i suppose. i'm sitting the exams this week - wish me luck.

Horovitz?? now i'm confused. i thought it all ended with mallet for band.
  19. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Sorry, meant rhymes with
  20. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

It also explains why you've been drinking Carlsberg, I thought you'd won the lotto until I noticed your "band" trainers