What do your favourite test pieces say about you?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by brassed_off, Jul 3, 2007.

1. brassed_off

brassed_off Member

My friend has told me that as I don't particularly enjoy pieces such as Connotations or Occasions that I have no soul. Is this true?? :confused:

Pieces I do like include Essence of Time, Journey into Freedom, Oceans (sorry Mr Chairman - but I do like it!) and The Accursed Huntsman. Recently I've developed a taste for Vienna Nights.

What does this say about me???

2. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

Well my favourite is Tournament for Brass. What does that say about me?
  3. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

One of my favourite pieces is Extreme Makeover.....

But by the way Im feeling right now, I think I will be in need of an Extreme Makeover, after getting up at 4.30am every morning to milk the cows on the farm, as my dad's away on holiday this week!!!!
  4. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

You like to travel?
  5. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Vinters superb 'Spectrum' is mine... ;) Guess I am a chap of many colours then eh!
  6. Veri

Veri Member

Well, my current favourite (listening wise) is Northern Lights. I suppose the city of Oxford could be described as Northern Lights in comparison to the village in Devon where I grew up...
  7. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

One of my favourites is Verona Lights by Bruce Fraser. I guess that means I'm a closet smoker!! :rolleyes:
  8. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I simply adore Sparke's Tallis Variations and Bram Gay's arrangement of Les Preludes.

Guess that means I like new slants on old ideas, because the Vaughn Williams Tallis Variations sends me to sleep, and I think Rimmer's version of les preludes is best left unplayed.
  9. Mr_Chairman

Mr_Chairman Member

You do have soul Hannah - I say so !!

I am happy with all sorts of music (except Goff Richards testpieces - there is a story there, but I'll tell you in the pub Hannah).

Preferences are modern twists on the old such as 'Devil of the Deep Blue Sea' (amazing Fugue) and 'Extreme Makeover' (composer has the bottle [sorry!!] to experiment with tradition)
  10. andyp

andyp Active Member

Hmmm....my favourites are "Blitz", "Resurgam", and "Year of the Dragon", no idea what that says about me?!?
  11. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

But what do you make of the original works by Thomas Tallis or Franz Liszt?
  12. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

mine as to be
    James Cook Circumnavigator
    Must mean i like to travel
  13. brassed_off

brassed_off Member

Still haven't worked out what mine means!
    Maybe I'm just a person of many diverse ideas and beings (or in short - a bit weird!).
  14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- wasn't he butchered to death? :eek:
  15. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

Wilson Sinfonietta and Chromascope are in my list - as are Cloudcatcher and the Arnold Fantasy for Brass Band - must mean I'm pretty mixed up!
  16. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

And eaten, at least partially. Maybe there's a link with the sausage thread? :oops:

ROBTHEDOG Member

Great call the Wilson stuff is very much neglected..

This is similar to prvious thread about major works for brass but again similar choices coming up..

Top of my list

Revelations !!!

Although like Wilson, Vinter's stuff underplayed.. Spectrum brilliant..
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2007
  18. One of my favourite test pieces is St Magnus, but I don't even like Mastermind...
  19. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Quite enjoy Tallis's original music. Speminalium particularly is still amazing even though it's 700-odd years old!

For my money, I prefer the band version of Les Preludes. The orchestal FF doesn't have enough power. But then.... I really don't like strings.... or woodwind.... so I'm completely biased in that respect!!!
  20. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Ian will slaughter you for saying that ;)