What do you want to hear?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Railybobs, Jan 4, 2004.

?

What do you want to hear on the stage of a civic building?

1. Test Pieces

89.9%
  2. Solos

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Overtures

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Marches

0.6%
  5. Light Pieces eg:- Gaelic Blessing etc etc etc

1.3%
  6. Heavy Pieces eg:- Kingdom Triumphant etc etc etc

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. A mixture of the above

8.2%
  1. Railybobs

Railybobs Member

When you go to Formby Hall in Atherton, Dobcross and alike. What do you want to make up the programme?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Formby Hall
    Atherton
    Dobcross
    programme
  3. Testpieces. But that's just me.... :roll:

4. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

A mixture of the above :)

5. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

I would go for a mix as well.

6. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

a mixture

7. Euph-Bari

Euph-Bari Active Member

definaltley a mixture

8. Ermm what's Formby Hall in Atherton and Dobcross...? Concert halls?

9. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

:lol: I was going to ask exactly the same thing! Are you talking about particular events, or just the venues?

10. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

haydock played in formby hall a while ago and we did a mixture of the above. we played pieces like lord of the rings, gaudete, i dreamed a dream, a little prayer... i dont think we played any test pieces though.

11. HBB

HBB Active Member

I think that if you're not a brass enthusiast, you may find listening to test pieces boring. I think that the audience wants to recognise the melody, that's why cheesy pop arrangements go down so well. (Anything by Bernaerts!)

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Formby Hall
    Atherton
    Dobcross
    programme
  13. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

Deffinately a mixture! But, play listenable testpieces :D

14. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Definatly a mixture! :)

15. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Definitely a mixture.

(And preferably original brass band pieces as much as possible. But maybe that's another topic!!!!!!)

16. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

As one or two have already mentioned, it wold depend a lot on the target audience, and how the concert was promoted. Themed programmes can be very successful at drawing in an audience, and can give some unity to the concert as a whole, but even then I think it is important to include some original brass music where possible.

As has been said previously, audiences will often accept, and enjoy, even music that is thought of as "difficult" if it is introduced and explained beforehand. I also like to hear bands playing muic that stretches them to some extent, as that always seems to get the adrenalin going.

By and large, I think it shold be a mixed programme, unless it is a more prestigious event where the programme itself is published in advance, when I would prefer to see more substantial works played. I would certainly be very disappointed if I went to hear one of the "top" bands and heard nothing but lollipops, however well they were played,

17. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I love the different spellings of definatly that are coming out :lol:(the correct spelling being "Definitely"...) :wink:

:shock:

Sorry, back on topic :)

18. cornydevil

cornydevil Member

Formby Hall in Atherton and Dobcross Band club are well known Concert venues in the North West of England :) (for those not from around here)

19. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

I think that sometimes even brass enthusiasts could go to sleep if a programme purely composed of test pieces was put on!

Carolyn

20. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

How boring would a concert be if you didn't have a mixtures of styles

:hammer

I'd find it that bad!!

21. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

i totally agree. diversity is the way!

Carolyn

22. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Thanks!

I'm aother vote for a good mixture - I think even the most hardened banders would struggle to sit through a full programme of just test pieces/heavy music. But I don't like concerts with too many "light" pieces (like the last nationals gala) either.

IMHO the venue shouldn't make a blind bit of difference - the same amount of effort should be put into programming and presenting a mix of music that will keep most people happy, regardless of where the concert is. Unfortunately when the "top bands" venture south of the Watford gap, we all too often get bands full of deps with guest conductors, playing poorly rehearsed "easy" programmes - very disappointing.