What do you want to be Xmas Number One?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by yorkshirepuddin, Dec 17, 2003.

What do you want to be Xmas Number One?

1. Darkness

2. Gary Jules

0 vote(s)
  3. Avid Merrion

0 vote(s)
  4. Kelly and Ozzy Osbourne

0 vote(s)
  5. other

1. As usual there are loads of bands/artists competing for xmas number one, some being good, and some....not so good.
    My personal favorite has to be Mad World by Gary Jules, or for novelty value The Darkness, just because they rock! 8)
  2. dyl

dyl Active Member

Gary Jules for me! Never thought a Tears For Fears track could sound so good!
  3. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

And what about good, safe old Cliff?

(only joking!)

His new entry is called Santa's List. Guaranteed no. 1 if he'd only had the gall to change 'list' to something that rhymes with it.....

Still, mickey taking aside, it's his 117th top 40 hit and his 65th top 10 hit (Source: Music Week). I admire his longevity if nothing else!
  4. yeah, gary jules or the darkness. plus gary jules also does that song 10x better than that fame academy girl with the dodgy haircut
  5. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

Agree totally. Gary Jules Mad World is very haunting.
  6. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

By the way, am I the only one who finds Avid Merrion utterly unfunny?
  7. Heather

Heather Member

Darkness for me too with a bit of hope for Gary Jules.
    Alas, though, i fear it might be that awful Ozzie and Keely song....uurrgghh!
  8. Euph-Bari

Euph-Bari Active Member

voted for darkness but it was close between them and gary jules
  9. groovy

groovy Active Member

Love mad world, great song, but I voted for Avid Merrion - hey, its traditional to have a really cheesy, novelty Number 1! That or The Darkness - definately NOT POP IDOL!!!
  10. picju96

picju96 Member

I can't stand him.
  11. twigglet

twigglet Member

I think Avid Merrion is hilarious, particularly as David Blaine (shazaaam) and Michael Jackson (schamow! hee hee) but for the quality of song, it has to be Gary Jules. I do like the darkness but think their xmas song is particularly pants!

12. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

Definitely Darkness for me - the modern day equivalent to Slade and Wizzrd and just as cheesy!

Rach x
  13. Euph-Bari

Euph-Bari Active Member

which is what you want at christmas - cheesey music - yet catchy

but i do acutally like it
  14. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

Don't really care so long as it's someone who has nothing whatsoever to to with pop idol, fame academy or any other kind of instant band manufacturing program. If I get really fed up of the charts, I'll turn the volume up a bit and let the whole village listen to Iron Maiden, alternating it with Classic Brass :D
  15. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Any track from Harrogate Band's new Christmas album: Christmas is Coming, but preferably one of my arrangements.

This CD is not available in the shops, but you can obtain a copy mailed directly to your home by visiting our website...

16. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

I've voted for Gary Jules, as I think it is about time we had a 'serious' Xmas number 1, rather than the tripe that Pop Idol, Pop Stars, Fame Acadamy and wannabe popstars churn out.
    As much as I like The Darkness, they have to come a close second on this vote!
  17. HBB

HBB Active Member

I thin kthat Avid is great.... and It's nice to have a funny spoof show back! :D
  18. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

Anyone else think the Darkness song has the potential to be a cracking band piece?

Rach x
  19. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Has to be the Darkness especially if it winds up those who actually don't get the fact that they are taking the urine!!!
  20. uncle eric

uncle eric Member

quite so david (sorry i had to cut your posting down-it was a bit long though) me and ada have long been devoted fans of clifford, and often tune in for his biggest gig of the year. well, ada likes tim henman you see.

long reign cliff! so many of the other christmas songs don't really get behing the true spirit of christmas and the message behind it. maybe if all tmp users went out and bought a copy, we could get it to number one together!

merry christmas

uncle eric