What do you think to the choice of judges at the Nationals?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Andy_Euph, May 29, 2004.

1. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Just wondering what people think of the choice of judges for this years nationals?

Do you think they are good/poor adjudicators...is it a good choice?

I have no problem with the choice but it is just interesting that a couple of the judges have been at the centre of some "dodgy" decisions in the past.

P.S. non of these decisions have affected a band I play/played with :wink:
  2. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Well speaking as someone who plays in a band that's qualified for their first ever National finals, I'm just grateful that there are still enough judges out there willing to put their necks on the line, considering the flak that a lot of adjudicators normally get (something I've certainly been guilty of, as I dare say, are the vast majority of posters on tMP!).

I'm just looking forward to Fulham pitting their musical wits against the other bands and the judges. It'll be a great day out for us whatever (and I dare say that if we get a bad result, I'll be on here saying 'What the Hell were the adjudicators thinking of??' ;-). That's brass banding and contests for you! ;-)) Anyway, without even having heard the piece, I'm nevertheless pleased we'll have some added 'Sparke' to our performance! :lol: (Sorry, Philip :oops: Another 'Payn'ful pun......)
  3. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

You just can't help yourself can you?
  4. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

I have never had a problem with the choice of adjudicator at a brass bband event. I may later have an objection to his results (see Adjudication section Australian Nationals) but never have I read the contest newsletter and thought to myself "Oh my god, Peter Bale is adjudicating!! What a moronic choice!!!" (that was just an example, no doubt you would be a fair and impartial adjudicator, Pete :wink: )

What I do hate is people who go out and change their band's performance to better suit the adjudicator. "Roger Thorne's adjudicating this years Nambour Festival, and he favours sopranos, so I want you to play louder, and I want the rep player to put his part up the octave too!!!" It isn't an accurate representation of what the band can do, especially if you don't pull it off.
  5. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Peter Bale wannabe? :lol:
  6. Salli

Salli Member

Is he? - he didn't tell me! :shock:

P.S. How do you know he likes Sops :?:

7. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Love em or loath em, they're brave enough to put themselves in the firing line (and there is ALWAYS someone having a go at them) for the sake of this thing we do.
    Whoever they are, don't knock em...they do their bit to keep this movement alive.
  8. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Well said!