What do you look for in a new instrument?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by IJK, Feb 4, 2007.

1. IJK

IJK Member

I got asked a question the other day and was wondering what other people look for when they are purchasing a new instrument?
  2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Quality build and one that is in tune, so if it has to be resold it will do easily!
  3. andyp

andyp Active Member

If I was after a new instrument I'd want it to be perfect for me . Or as close as. Problem is what's perfect for me wouldn't be perfect for someone else.

It'd have to be some cornet to beat my 10+ year old 928, anyway!
  4. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

The most important thing is to make sure it's the right instrument for YOU! The perfect instrument for your best friend may not be the perfect instrument for you. Try to get the shop to lend it to you for a week or so, so that you can play it every day and play it at rehearsals. Trying out an instrument just in the shop isn't like playing it for a 2 hour band rehearsal.
  5. JDH

JDH Member

Firstly, is the sound what I want (how closely does it match the sound in my head). Then quality, particularly if the valves are good (nothing more frustrating than sticking valves), its intonation (can it be played in tune) and very importantly its ergonomics (is it comfortable to hold), seeing that many hours will be spent practicing on it.

Then the feel good factor of if I like the look of it!
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  6. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Perfect advice

What I look for in any potential new instrument is one that works with me on the end of it, in the situations I will be finding myself in.

The worst possible reason for choosing any instrument is because you have heard someone else play on one, they sound great, therefore you will sound great if you use one. If only life were that simple.
  7. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

Check to see if it has Eclipse engraved on the leadpipe :clap:
  8. horn-girlie

horn-girlie Member

I bought my horn about a year ago, and wasn't sure which one i wanted. So I just went in, tried a few different ones, and went for the one that felt nicest to blow etc
  9. Glehany

Glehany Member

All of the above,

Also, condition versus price and will the place you're buying it from let you bring it back if you take it to band/orchestra/whatever and find it doesn't work there in the way it seemed to in the shop where you tried it. Even better can you get it on trial for a week.

10. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

As you can probably tell I play flugel and I've been banging on about recently buying my own instrument on here for the last year or so (really must find something else to talk about ;) ) I think you have a much greater choice with flugel than most other brass band instruments - there are a number of different types to buy and the span for a what could be called a "decent" model is probably about £1000.

For me I looked firstly for the sound - I feel this is crucial for flugel. Secondly the intonation of it throughout the range of the instrument. Thirdly I was interested in the build quality - as an engineer this was probably inevitable, and immediately rules out any thought of me buying a "strad" after previous experience of them falling apart on me after barely 6 months.

I tried several different makes, and in the end the Kanstul won out as the one with the best compromise of the above. I'd have loved to have tried the Eclipse, but they were just beyond my budget.

The best thing you can do is go to somewhere like brassreview.com to see your options, use their reviews as a guide but (most importantly) get to your local music shop and try as many different instruments as possible. After that try to get your favourite(s) for a week or two on trial and do all the playing you would normally do. The one that best fits you and your particular playing style is the one to buy - its as simple as that.
  11. Homelea Music

Homelea Music New Member

I've bought a brand new Rath R4F Trombone in November, I wanted my own sound and a good quality that would take me right through. I like how any part can be easily removed and swapped e.g. leapipes, bell flare, tuning slides etc. The service at Michael Rath in Huddersfield is outstanding, they are really helpful and know everything. The combination that I've got is perfect for me - Yellow Brass Bell, Gold Tuning Slide, Bronze Slide, 5A Leadpipe, and 6 1/2 Rath Mouthpiece. really makes a good sound without distortion and is great plying very quiet. I paid good money for it and got a top quality trombone.

Edit: Duplicate post deleted: RT