What do you like reading in band magazines/web sites?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Kath, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Kath

Kath New Member

TMPers

I was just wondering what you all like reading about in band media like the magazines/websites?

What do you liking reading about? What don't you like reading about?

Maybe non-banding stuff should be included? What do you think?

Kath

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    magazines
    stuff
    band magazines
    web sites
    TMPers
  3. kevthedrummer

kevthedrummer Member

contest results are always a good thing to look at ;)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2005
  4. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I like stories about bands that you don't usually hear about (instead of seeing the same top championship bands and players hogging the limelight ll the time)

5. impycornet

impycornet Member

I like the crossword & the problem page

6. Patkin

Patkin New Member

Page 3?..

7. HBB

HBB Active Member

With Pat here,

something other than CHampionship Section Gossip...

8. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I've never read the Bandsman or a similar magazine, I only read 4BarsRest (and tMP of course) and I think it is nice that they also pay attention to the brass band "diaspora" every now and then (covering the US Open, the New Zealand Championships, CD reviews of European bands like Brass Band Buizingen, etc.)

9. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I enjoy the CD reviews so you can get a good idea if it is worth buying.;)

However i have the British Bandsman&Brass Band World,plus internet band sites:4BR,TMP etc.:)

10. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Agreed. I'd like occasional printed evidence that brass bands do exist outside the top section. (Though I have no gripe against the top section! :))

11. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I almost forgot...I really like the pretty pictures :D

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    magazines
    stuff
    band magazines
    web sites
    TMPers
  13. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

Dead right! After all, it is the lower section bands that breed the players for the championship section. And it's these bands that also need publicity.

I think that subscriptions to Brit Bandsman will fall over the coming year. You can get the articles etc word for word on 4BarsRest with them now being a joint organisation (please correct me if I'm wrong!)

14. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I enjoy the more in-depth features, rather than the sort of news that, as has been said, pops up on the web first. There have been a couple of first class items by Phillip Wilby in BB over the past couple of weeks, and I'd like to see more of the same.

I do share some of the reservations raised previously over identical (or very similar) items appearing in various media, be it articles, reviews or whatever, unless some sort of acknowledgement is given. Equally, if what is printed is in effect a press release from a band or other organisation then that should be made clear.

15. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

Am I weird - I don't read banding magazines....

Used to get BB but to be honest I looked to see if anyone I knew had changed bands - rather an expensive way to find out really!

I'm a pictures girl (I don't even read the British Dental Journal, I just look for the pretty pics of teeth!)

Rach x

16. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

Well, I get BB, which I send to Dad when I have a collection to post, (he looks forward to a large envelope with about 10 BB's inside). What about me? Well, I scan through, see if there is any tittle tattle which grabs my attention, read a bit of gossip about what the 'amateur' bands are up to, see if there is anything about me, and put it in the magazine rack ready for postage to Dad.

By the way, 'amateur' bands is a dig at the 'land of hope and glory' bands.......confused? :confused: :wink: :mad: :biggrin: :hammer :ranting2: